• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Catar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Hi,

It's my first post, then let me introduce myself.y nick is Catar, feom Spain and I' trying to turn on a old macintosh plus with rodime external hard drive.

With system floppy disk works fine, but with rodime hard drive .... I get error and looks it lose magnetism (after long time without work). I have a linux computer with floppy disk and I'm searching how to reinstall system in rodime hard drive.

Any reference with error resum? (To be sure)
Any guide to reinstall system to rodime?

Thanks !!!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, we should establish exactly what is inside the external drive case. Over the years I've seen AND performed upgrades inside these cases, so what it says on the outside may NOT be what's on the inside.

Photos will be of great assistance, if possible.

Comment

Catar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Here some pictures. Questions:
- turn on: turn on hard drive and after 10 seconds screen? ( I tried both).
- on back part, there is a red switch, position 1 selected
- two scdi ports on hard drive, preference? (I tried both)

At this moment, when I turn on screen looks black (before, I got error and seems be hard drive without magnetism)

I tried turn on with system floppy and use tool to found HD, nothing happen, just the clock thinking

Attachments

• 20200317_205818.jpg
    20200317_205818.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200317_204807.jpg
    20200317_204807.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200317_205642.jpg
    20200317_205642.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 128
Comment

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
OK, it's a plain SCSI drive.

Have you had this working previously?

I tried turn on with system floppy and use tool to found HD, nothing happen, just the clock thinking
Do you get an error code if you turn on the HD first, then the Mac (without a boot floppy) and wait? Take a picture of the screen if possible.
The SCSI being set to "One" should be fine (the red switch on the back).
It doesn't really matter which SCSI port you use on the back, however, you should fit a SCSI terminator to the un-used port.

It's quite possible that the drive has failed, which would be reasonable given the drive's age, BUT there is more troubleshooting to do before arriving at that diagnosis.

Comment

Catar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
After turn on the hd and after screen without floppy disk, I get black screen. After some combination,if after turn on hd+screen, reboot screen with back button on the side I get error code (attached file).

On the other side,
- whats the objective of red switch on the back? (Another Macintosh 128 is waiting and button position is 6).
-SCSI terminator is recomended to reduce interference, but can work without? (with actual situation, shops are closed and I will wait ....). Have to be active terminator and singel-ended? Enough?
- I asume data will be lose
- Which order is correct to turn on the computer? First hd and after screen or first screen and after hd
[automerge]1584530876[/automerge]
The file !!!

Attachments

• 20200318_110736.jpg
    20200318_110736.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Comment

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
After turn on the hd and after screen without floppy disk, I get black screen. After some combination,if after turn on hd+screen, reboot screen with back button on the side I get error code...

0F000A error code is most likely a corrupted partition map on the drive. IIRC some utilities (early "Silverlining") may be able to repair the problem (if that's ALL it is).

- whats the objective of red switch on the back? (Another Macintosh 128 is waiting and button position is 6).

That is to select the SCSI ID. The Mac is always 7, valid settings are zero to six. No two attached SCSI devices can have the same SCSI ID.

-SCSI terminator is recomended to reduce interference, but can work without? .... Have to be active terminator and single-ended? Enough?

Single ended but Active or Passive should be fine (Active is better). SCSI termination may not always be perfect. Rules say Terminate ends but sometimes (for whatever unknown reason) it may work better without termination. This is known as "SCSI Voodoo".

- I asume data will be lose
- Which order is correct to turn on the computer? First hd and after screen or first screen and after hd

Usually you would turn on the external HD first, allow about 15 seconds then power on the Mac - However, some early ROM combinations might require the opposite - best to try both ways.

Comment

Catar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
After some time disconnected. I'm using linux, I tried to record to floppy disk but.. still searching information about it. I downloaded Silverlining in zip format with checsum.md5, laciesilverliningPro6_1.toast, XtraStuff.Mac (folder) inside. How can I record it to floppy disk to use in Macintosh? (with linux or with windows if ....)

Comment

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Sadly, this won't be possible, since Apple's early 400K & 800K floppy drives use variable speed to squeeze more data onto the floppy disk. Your Mac Plus should be able to work with both, but standard PC floppy drives lack this feature.

Unless you purchase a slightly later (working) Mac running a maximum of System 7.6.x, you'd need to purchase a read-made boot floppy.

More information can be found here:

The next issue is getting a third party hard disk formatter onto the same floppy disk (800k bytes does not provide a lot of space) OR a second 800k floppy disk with the hard disk formatter on it and use floppy swapping (unless you have a working exernal drive).

One vendor is here:

The disk you'll probably need is:
Utilities
Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5 (Patched version), Welcome 1.2.1, Lido 7.56, Lido INIT, Iomega ZIP INIT, PMount

Note that the above floppy will NOT boot the Mac Plus. You should be able to use your existing boot disk and use 'floppy swapping' to run the hard disk formatter "Lido".

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.