How reliable are these glue batteries suppose to be?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, Mar 1, 2013.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

With the computer consistently heating up and cooling down along side the pressure from the palms dosen't it make you feel rather worrisome (is that even a word) that the battery will just fall out of place?

I might be going crazy but I feel at times when I place my left palm on my rMBP to type I feel the battery move or something.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not likely at all.
    A distinct possibility! :D
    The glue is very strong. The battery isn't going to come loose from simply using it.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Stop over analysing, the technology that adhesives involves today is extremely complex, nothing is going to come loose anytime soon. A vast array of household and industrial goods are held together by adhesives, the only difference here is Apple chose to make this clear.

FWIW I have a 2012 rMBP and obviously have no concerns.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

There are going to be a few unhappy rMBP users out there when the batteries start to die/fail/swell in a couple of years. Non-user serviceable batteries just stink. They stink even more when you pay $2K+ on something that could eventually end up as a paperweight, especially when it comes to battery swelling.

5. robvas macrumors 68030

So go to the apple store and have it replaced in 3 years?

I have a new word: Hypochondrimacs. People who think something is wrong with their Mac every day.

6. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

I don't have a rMBP, so I"m not sweating it ;)

7. leman macrumors G3

Then just go and service the battery. Don't see any problem here. I don't see myself complaining that I have to change tires on my bike every two years :rolleyes:

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

The problem with that is, is either a) not everyone has Applecare or b) their Applecare will eventually run out. Then what?

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Then you pay Apple $199 for an out of warranty battery replacement.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries are consumable items. Even if they're not defective, they will eventually die and need to be replaced at the user's expense.

11. Queen6, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

As ever "mountains, out of mole hills" if you can drop $2K on a notebook, yet baulk at the cost of battery replacement, your likely already out of your depth...

In all reality the vast majority will sell out, give or donate their Retina before the battery fails. Personally the performance edge the 15 "Retina offers far outweighs the cost of a battery. The late 2011 cMBP are throttle monsters and struggle to deliver their full performance, in comparison to Retina which will run 24/7 without any indication of throttling, I know which one I prefer.