How Reliable Has Your Macbook Pro Been?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mohammad, Oct 24, 2009.

1. mohammad macrumors member

mohammad

Hi,

I need to decide whether to buy AppleCare today! So how are you guys doing with your Macbooks? Is it worth buying AppleCare? I'm really taking good care of the machine.. although I know electronic devices can put you down at anytime?

But is there anyone which has lived AppleCare free and has not had an issue?

Cheers,
    Mohammad

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

u should probably wait until the applecare is almost over.

3. mohammad thread starter macrumors member

mohammad

I need to buy it today.. since my 1 year limited warranty ends tomorrow! :eek::)

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If you haven't had any problems up til now, I don't anticipate major problems in the near future. 3 years from now, would you really want to repair your now four-year old machine? I skip on warranties.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I've needed mine, I tend to move my laptops a LOT, so I expect things to fail after a while.

The MBP is the most reliable Mac I've owned, but it hasn't had the least downtime (thanks Applecare!)

6. ryanvalle macrumors member

I have the first gen MBP and bought apple care a few weeks before original warranty was over.

Did it benefit me? Yes, but just out of luck. First gen mbps had battery issues and froma pple care, i was able to get a free battery replacement. But as far as hardware issues, nothing I've noticed.

It's a good thing to have just in case something goes wrong, but as of now, my mac is running just fine. heck, i want it to die on me because nobody will buy a first gen mbp and i want to get a new mbp, but not have two laptops.

7. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Buy it. You will kick yourself if something goes wrong and you are not covered, and Apple turn round and ask for a large sum for repairs to be carried out.

8. lumpi macrumors newbie

Obviously, the cost of AppleCare is exactly balanced to not be a loss for Apple. If you wonder whether it's worth or not, it's exactly "between".

So it's a question whether full security makes you happier or whether buying an expensive insurance you probably never really need would bother you (for the money you could afford some pretty good accessory or even a new replacement battery).

9. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I'll probably pick it up, since I had SO many issues with my last Macbook. Also I tend to travel a lot and all that humidity and dust etc is never good for a notebook. The way I see it, my soon to arrive uMBP15 should last four years, I'll pick up Applecare next year and then I know for certain so long as I don't drop it or have it stolen, I'll be guaranteed a working device for four years. Which really should be the max lifetime for a notebook considering they keep making the software require more CPU.

10. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Ive owned macs for 20 years...everything from the PowerPC Performa series, G3/G4 laptops and towers, and currently on a 2.5 year old MPB.

Never had one problem with ANY of them, nor have I ever bought extended warranty for any of them either.

I think it just comes down to how you treat your computer

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i think applecare should be bought if you plan on keeping your machine for a few years. If you are the type of person who updates their machines very often, then no AC.

12. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I've found my MBP to be fantastically reliable, but I use it a lot and definitely think AppleCare is a good buy. At least you know you're going to get 3 years of life from the machine that way.

Everyone's situation is different, though, but for me personally I wouldn't have a Mac without AppleCare. In the same way that when I used to buy Dell's I'd get at least 3 years of warranty.

13. kolax macrumors G3

Definitely buy it. You'll be covered for another 2 years, and if you choose to sell your Mac in the next year to upgrade, then the extended warranty will help.

14. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I wait until the 1 year warranty is almost up before I get Apple Care... Why buy it at the time of purchasing the warranty when you could possibly void it during that first year? I can't imagine dropping my Macbook after 6 months and losing not only the system but 2 years of warranty, paid for, that doesn't even cover the system any longer! haha. Grr.

15. rodo macrumors newbie

tricky question ;)

I didnt' buy applecare myself, and sadly my MBP's logic board burned down 5 months after the warranty expired (the nVidia chip burning known issue).

Even in the first call, apple offered to change the logic board for free, while I just had to pay for the work time. The next day I got another call and they said that, being a known issue, I was eligible for a logic board replacement AND work time for free, so I didn't have to pay anything.

So .. I think if your notebook fails after one year, either it would be a strange production problem, like mine, so Apple will fix it for free, or a normal wear-and-tear failure, or a problem derivated from inappropriate care of the computer. I think you have to find the balance here. I don't know up to which extent Applecare covers the last two scenarios. If they cover, ie. , the laptop falling to the floor, or theft, and you happen to travel a lot, take it. If not, I would avoid it.

16. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

my macbook pro has been a rock. but I feel much better knowing I have AC for almost 2 more years

17. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Do yourself a favor and purchase AppleCare. Apple does have a really good reputation for reliability, but there is always a chance that hardware can malfunction.

18. Fox11 macrumors member

Mac I'm using right now: Mac mini, 1.25Ghz PowerPC (never had problems with it)

Mac getting repaired: Macbook Pro, 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa (never had problems with it EXCEPT for the faulty Nvidia GPU, which still lasted a good 2 1/2 years)

I take really good care of my macs, run them hard and often, but so far, the reliability has been excellent. This is part of the reason I'm so mad about the Nvidia fiasco- I was hoping to use my MBP for at least another 3 or 4 years!

On one hand, AppleCare does give you major peace of mind- Apple, I hear, is very forgiving about repairs if you have AC. On the other hand, if you really baby your mac like I do (and I guess with a little luck), you shouldn't ever have any problems!

19. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I babied my Macbook Pro Classic. I even had a hardcover case and a neoprene case. It broke down 5 times and apple is now replacing my computer. If I didnt' have applecare, since I'm 14 months into owning the computer, I'd be out of luck. Applecare is definately worth it. get it after one year though, so you can keep your cash!

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Definitely buy AppleCare. You may not need it, but if you do, it will pay for itself before you know it.

21. OceanView macrumors 65816

I had my 2007 - C2D 15" MBP for over 2 years and haven't had any issues.
    I forgot to buy the extended warranty within the 1 year period and have been lucky.

22. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

It all depends on how long you will own the computer. If you buy with a major credit card, most will automatically double the manufaturers warranty (up to 5 years). I'm typically good with two years, so I don't buy Applecare.

Now if you want to keep you Mac for a long time, AppleCare is considered a manufacturers warranty so if you buy AC with a major credit card at the time of purchase with your Mac, you'll be covered for 5 years.

23. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Get Applecare, I already had to send in my computer twice. :eek:

24. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

It really has nothing to do with how well you take care of your computer. If you have a faulty screen/processor/logic board it is likely to go awry regardless of your ability to pamper your computer. I take excellent care of my MBP, as I do all of my possessions. However, I bought AppleCare because it gives you peace of mind in knowing you are covered for a full three years from date of purchase. If you plan on keeping your computer longer than one year, I highly suggest purchasing it.

25. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Knock on wood, mine has been pretty solid from the day I bought it until now :D