How reliable is a My Passport external HD for longterm storage?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by silkyjohnson, Oct 20, 2009.

1. silkyjohnson macrumors newbie

Hi! I bought a My Passport 320 GB external hard drive and I rarely use it. I keep all of my Music and Videos in a My Book I bought a while longer

Since I only had a windows PC, the My Book worked fine for my needs.

I just purchased a MacBook Pro though, and I used Boot Camp to install Windows 7 in it.

So now I basically have 3 set-ups and I just want to keep all my media files in one place for easy access. I figured, pending your opinions, that the My Passport external HD is the best way to go so that I can use my media on all three platforms without having them scattered through out different hard-drives.

I just want to get your opinions first on your experience with My Passport and it's reliability. Is it a good idea to store all my music (about 40 gb) and videos on it? And have them play off of the My Passport?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The drive itself is ok, the controller is a complete POS. I can't transfer more than 9 GB without it unexpectantly disconnecting EVERY TIME. Apparently its a well known issue that WD just doesn't feel like fixing.

3. silkyjohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Well I'm not really too worried about the transferring issues, I hardly ever find myself transferring more than maybe a gig or two at the most at a time.

I'm more concerned about it's reliability. I don't want to have all my music on there and just have it all of a sudden crap out on me, leaving me with ZERO music.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If anything will crap out on you, its the controller. Once that goes, your done. I wouldn't rely on this as you main backup because the WD passport has a reputation for failing controllers, I just wouldn't risk it.

5. silkyjohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm... well thanks for the input!

My "My Book" has worked well for me over the years.. I think I will use the My Passport for all my media and just have it backed up in the My Book in case it dies or something.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd say go for it. i have a 500GB Passport and have had no problems.

7. silkyjohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, thanks, I will! I'll just back it up to my old My Book once in a while just in case... :)