How reliable is iTunes Movies in the Cloud?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by PDFierro, Jun 23, 2013.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm curious how reliable/good streaming of TV shows/movies are through iTunes. I'm ready to get a Mac again as soon as the Haswell rMBP is released, and I'm debating on my hard drive space.

For those of you with a large iTunes video library, do you use cloud streaming and how good is it? I use it sometimes but on a Windows laptop, and it lags quite a bit. But that might be the slowness of my machine.

I honestly prefer to store all my stuff locally, but I'm just wondering how good of a solution Apple's streaming is for quality and responsiveness/buffering. I use other streaming services and they are always speedy.

2. salimdao macrumors member

salimdao

From my experience, iTunes Movies in the Cloud has been great. I rarely watch it on my MBP, but I do download them locally. I use my Apple TV to stream my movies from the Cloud. I don't think you're allowed to truely "stream" movies on a computer though. You can play them when they're not already stored locally, but it will download as it goes.

3. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

I've only had a couple of instances where I couldn't log into iTunes to watch a movie. In addition there were only a couple of times I could purchase a rental for a movie. I've used the service for over a year. I recently purchased an iMac and downloaded all my purchased movies from iTunes to my mac. So if a title I've purchased gets pulled from iTunes I have a copy saved for streaming.

I have also ripped DVD's and added them to iTunes and that allows me to stream them to my appleTV's which is very handy too.

4. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

It was a bit daunting to just delete from local storage all of the kids movies and tv shows I had laying around (really, just how many episodes of Dora the Explorer do we need?), but the download-on-demand model works nicely, in my case to Apple TVs and iPads. Depending, of course, on the quality of your Internet connection.