Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I currently have AT&T but most of my friends have Verizon. Just wondering how reliable is SMS between those carriers? Is it common for text messages to not reach the recipient (Without notification that it was not received)?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I currently have AT&T but most of my friends have Verizon. Just wondering how reliable is SMS between those carriers? Is it common for text messages to not reach the recipient (Without notification that it was not received)?

I can't say that texts are ALWAYS delivered, but it certainly isn't common. I've been with AT&T over 10 years now and can count on 1 hand the number or texts that either I sent and the other person didn't receive, or they sent and I didn't receive.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
From my personal experience AT&T and tmobile are very reliable at sending and receiving text (text only) mms is another thing. Also so are iMessages (in many occasions fail).

----------

Very reliable. FBI, DHS, SS's ECTF and others ensure your SMS get pushed forward appropriately.

Hey what's that supposed to mean? I don't know if any of these agencies have anything to do with making sure they get delivered properly, probably they do the sniffing stuff and peruse other peoples msgs, but I don't think they may have a technology to pet say 'help' make sure msgs get delivered, that's the carrier's job and carriers are the ones with the back bone needed to do this.

allisonfranz

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2014
Boston
As far as SMS goes, most of the time it is in fact reliable in the sense ... a minute to arrive for almost all the Tier 1 carriers in the United States.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hey what's that supposed to mean? I don't know if any of these agencies have anything to do with making sure they get delivered properly, probably they do the sniffing stuff and peruse other peoples msgs, but I don't think they may have a technology to pet say 'help' make sure msgs get delivered, that's the carrier's job and carriers are the ones with the back bone needed to do this.
I was poking fun at the current state of technology: casual sniffing of big data, tagging/tracking specific words in messages, verification of delivery of such items, remotely turning on speakers to listen to environmental sounds of mobile devices, ect.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I was poking fun at the current state of technology: casual sniffing of big data, tagging/tracking specific words in messages, verification of delivery of such items, remotely turning on speakers to listen to environmental sounds of mobile devices, ect.

LOL yup. I often wonder how many of these employees working for these agencies have fun perusing at peoples setting messages and or even download and store naked pictures, or nasty conversation of people's daily lives and wives LOL

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't recall it not working for me, the same goes for the people I know, its rock solid.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
i've had verizon since 2010, and i have maybe missed 1 text, or my text was not delivered i'd say once or twice. and those few times were before i got an iphone. back when i was using an LG EnV touch. terrible phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.