Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I am considering jailbreaking my wife's 3G 8GB (factory-unlocked, currently on 3.1.3) and the only windows tool for this seems to be Snowbreeze.

The phone is out of warranty anyway now - had broken glass fixed by a 3rd party.

Anyone have any experience with how well Snowbreeze works for this task?

Thanks!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I am considering jailbreaking my wife's 3G 8GB (factory-unlocked, currently on 3.1.3) and the only windows tool for this seems to be Snowbreeze.

The phone is out of warranty anyway now - had broken glass fixed by a 3rd party.

Anyone have any experience with how well Snowbreeze works for this task?

Thanks!

Likely no one here will recommend Sn0wbreeze when the DevTeam has tools to use that work.

Redsn0w should work, point Redsn0w at 3.1.2 IPSW, go to iClarified to get a tutorial

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Ah OK, didn't know Redsnow was a windows tool. Cool!

So I see I first have to downgrade her 3G from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 for it to work, fine.. just wondering why this kind of downgrade/jailbreak isn't possible on the 3GS.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Ah OK, didn't know Redsnow was a windows tool. Cool!

So I see I first have to downgrade her 3G from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 for it to work, fine.. just wondering why this kind of downgrade/jailbreak isn't possible on the 3GS.

You said 3G, not 3GS. Will only work for 3G. Cause you can't downgrade a 3GS like you can a 3G.

Actually, you don't need to downgrade the 3G, follow the instructions here.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Yes, 3G. The 3GS question was only hypothetical. Thanks!

One more question: I have had on my harddrive a

iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

But the instructions say to download iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw ...

What's the difference there?

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
OK guys I encountered an early issue while following the Redsnow tutorial. In iTunes, trying to restore to 3.1.2 I get the 1015 error:

"Error 1015: This error is caused by attempts to downgrade the iPhone or iPod touch's software. This can occur when you attempt to restore using an older .ipsw file. Downgrading to a previous version is not supported. To resolve this issue, attempt to restore with the latest iPhone or iPod touch software available from Apple."

Should I just skip this downgrade step and just point Redsnow itself to the ipsw file?

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
OK guys I encountered an early issue while following the Redsnow tutorial. In iTunes, trying to restore to 3.1.2 I get the 1015 error:

"Error 1015: This error is caused by attempts to downgrade the iPhone or iPod touch's software. This can occur when you attempt to restore using an older .ipsw file. Downgrading to a previous version is not supported. To resolve this issue, attempt to restore with the latest iPhone or iPod touch software available from Apple."

Should I just skip this downgrade step and just point Redsnow itself to the ipsw file?

I believe you were instructed NOT to downgrade, instead just use Redsn0w and point it to the 3.1.2 ispw. Let RedSn0w do rest (with help from the iClarified tutorial of course).

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
OK thanks. Can I do that now that the phone's in recovery mode or should I first restore it to 3.1.3 in itunes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.