How reliable is tab recovery in Safari?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jan 24, 2017.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm considering making the switch from Chrome to Safari, as I can't get more than 2 hours of battery life out of my new MBP even with screen at half brightness. I organize my workflows by tabs, and typically have 20-5 open at each time. When the laptop crashes, Session Buddy Chrome extension has been super helpful as a bullet proof backup, as the Chrome builtin is unreliable (e.g., if I have to restart the laptop twice, during a hangup, the history goes away).

Is there an extension for Safari, or is the builtin one good enough?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

I've never had a problem with Safari. But your computer shouldn't be crashing so often to warrant such a question to be honest, do you know what's causing your laptop to crash? How old is it?

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I haven't had any trouble with Safari losing track of history, including tabs. I keep 17 tabs open all the time, and I rarely restart the machine or Safari. When I do, Safari starts from where I left off (because I set the preferences that way). If a tab starts to act up, I close it and reopen it from History > Recently Closed. Works great. It does seem energy efficient, though I'm using the sort of beta they have, Safari Technology Preview, which is supposed to be even better. Seems as stable as the regular version. Not aware of any extension to keep track of tabs.