How remove "Hotmail" from Apple Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by appiemac, Apr 26, 2011.

1. appiemac macrumors newbie

I just added my Hotmail account to Apple's mail program tonight.
    However, I didn't really like the setup so I went to delete the mailbox (hoping it would just simply remove the account from the program) when I was told it would delete all the messages and the account. I however, don't want to lose the Hotmail account or the messages contained on them. I would like to be able to use my Hotmail account again later and still refer to the messages.

My question would be: Is there a way to just simply not have my Hotmail account connected with Apple's mail program? And if so, how?

If I need to explain any better, I will most certainly try. I would just be grateful for any help that I can receive. I am not very familiar with the "Mail" program.

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

You are talking about the Mail app in your dock, correct?
    If so, open the Mail app. From the drop down menu up top near the :apple:, click on Mail>Preferences, then click on the Accounts tab. It will display all accounts associated with Mail. Highlight the Hotmail account, then click on the minus box below the Accounts.
    That's it.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Before you delete the account as Morod gave instructions on, make sure you check in the Advanced tab under Accounts. What you are checking on is to see whether 1) Mail removes the emails from the server after downloading, and 2) at what point it does so. If it doesn't remove emails from the server or if it only does so after a day/week/month you can delete the account with no harm/foul. If you login to your webmail access and find that your messages are no longer accessible there, that's where things get complicated. I'm hoping for your sake that they are still on the website.