How remove Windows and partition ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by b.milewski, Oct 5, 2007.

1. b.milewski macrumors newbie

Hi eysterday I install on my MacBook Pro Windows XP to check chow this work on mac. Now I know and I want remove Windows and Windows partition from my Hard Drive. If someone know how do this?

Thanks for help.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just go into boot camp assistant and select restore to single partition :)

3. b.milewski thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for info its work. I have one more question about trackpad in mac. Mac have only one button on trackpad second button (like Windows) is under CTRL button. I wonder how use second button under Windows XP, button CTRL in Windows dosent work. Any idea?

BTW I forgot in Mac OS X on desktop I have icon to Windows particion, how hide this icon and change name for this icon?

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

2-finger-on-trackpad mouse-button click.

Go into Windows, and rename the C drive (normally "C" or "Local" ) by putting a period in front of it (i.e. ".C" or ".Local").

If you do that, it won't show up on the desktop in OS X (any folder with a "." in front it of is hidden by default in OS X).

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Two fingers on the trackpad and click :)

I don't know if tapping with two fingers on the trackpad works...

6. McGiord, Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Place two fingers on the trackpad and click on the button and it should act like the right click on Windows.

It only works on windows, I hope this worked also in OS X :mad:.
    ________
    vapor genie vaporizer

7. b.milewski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks my friends all works perfectly. Thanks for help.:)

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No problem, that's what we're here for ;) Well, there's all of us for help, and then there is Mad Jew. He's in a different league when it comes to OS X troubleshooting.

9. meagain macrumors 68030

I'm confused re Apple's instruction as to how to nuke Windows and the partition....

Seems there's 2 ways... 1) Windows installed on a single-volume disk - Use Disk Utility to erase the disk and reformat it as a mac os x volume. 2) Windows installed on 2nd disk Partition - Remove windows by deleting the windows partition & restoring disk to a single partition Mac volume.

Um - How do I know which way to do this?

EDIT: I chose #2 and it worked.

10. elena macrumors newbie

hi

hi, today i have installed windows xp on my mac using boot camp and the instalation was succesfully done, but now i can't go back to mac system.
    when i start the computer my only option is windows... help!!!

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ open up Startup Disk in Window's Control Panel, select your Mac OS X partition and then hit restart! there is also Startup Disk in OS X's System Preferences. this is for setting the default boot partition.

to manually select a boot partition hold option on startup.

12. gerardburmester macrumors newbie

how to remove windows and partition

hey guys

I have installed windows on my mac for professional reasons. Due to the fact that my Mac was getting slow and that I don't need Windows anymore, i format my computer hoping it would get faster, cleaner and obviously windows would be wiped out.

the thing is, it didn't! it got "stuck" in there and i have read that the process to remove windows was through out boot camp assistant. bu now that i've formated my computer this application isn't there anymore.

Please Help.

What should i do?

Thank you

Hope someone will come to the rescue.. :p

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Open Disk Utility go to the partitions tab highlight your Boot Camp partition and then hit the "-" icon or press delete.

Then drag the bottom right corner of the Mac OS X partition downwards to fill the available space.

B

14. gerardburmester macrumors newbie

Dude i'm sorry but i didn't understand what you've said.

you'll have to talk like i'm some kind of infant. :p

that's too much technical speech.

thank you man

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Click on the magnifying glass in the top right of your screen.

Enter "Disk Utility" in the textbox and hit return.

When it opens, select the entry in the top of the left hand column. This is your main hard drive.

You should then see "First Aid", "Erase", "Partition", "RAID", "Restore", select "Partition" in the right panel.

See this link for a visual guide.

http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/leopard_disk_utility_can_resize_partitions.html

You should now see two partitions in the graphical view. Select the lower one (Boot camp) and hit the (-) icon below it. Then, follow the instructions in the linked guide to resize the partition.

B

16. simsaladimbamba

Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gerardburmester macrumors newbie

i've done everything you've said but:

first i'm a Tiger OS user, i dont know if this changes anything.

and i don't see the "-" icon.

i tried to delete i and the icon isn't "pressable"

what if i use that "restore" thing.

there are too blank spaces: source and destination

if i put the windows disk on the source blank and the machintosh disk on destination blank. shouldn't it work? (whitout deleting any data in the computer)

18. simsaladimbamba

As the Leopard introduced the resizing feature absent from Tiger, without deleting data, it matters.

Anyway, don't use the RESTORE tab, it is for restoring from a saved disk image, not for what you want to do.

It might be best to backup all your data via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to an external HDD, use the Restore DVD and erasing the partitions using Disk Utility while booted from the Restore DVD.
    Then use the OPTION key to boot from the cloned backup and use CCC or SD again to clone the contents back.
    Restart again without the HDD connected and now you should have a working Mac, if that removed the sluggishness is another question though.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.
    Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility
    Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

Or do you not have an external HDD for backing up?

19. gerardburmester macrumors newbie

well, then i have a problem, 'cause i've installed Ableton Live 8 original version. And if i format my pc again i might not be able to re-install it because the installation is limited to 2 times only.

I've a friend who works at an apple store maybe he can help whit this.

thank you guys for your help.

At least i've learned something that can be useful in my other Imac

thank You for your patience

20. simsaladimbamba

Do you have an external HDD you primarily use with Mac OS X and is thus formatted with the Mac OS Extended fie system (HFS+)?
    if that is the case, no reinstallation is required, as when you clone our HDD via CCC or SD to that external HDD, you make a 1:1 copy of it, which is fully bootable.
    Therefore you can still use the clone and erase the partitions on the sluggish Mac and then clone the contents back and it will be just like before, hopefully with the sluggishness gone.

But as you Mac is at least three years old, it might be a dying HDD, so i you do not have a backup yet, make one.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I guess 10.4 explains why Boot Camp Assistant disappeared. I should have considered that. :p

B