iPad How resistant to scratches and damage is a naked iPad air?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gdourado, Nov 3, 2013.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Guys, I am facing a dilemma here...

I have ordered an iPad air and the apple smart case in blue. I have a white 5s with the apple blue case. I ordered the same combo on the iPad to match the iPhone and protect the iPad.

Now I have been reading some mixed reviews and thoughts here and am wondering if I should cancel the order for the smart case.

My reasoning:

The iPad air is a major redesign focused on weight and size reduction to make it more manageable while hand holding.

I am afraid the smart case will compromise that goal.

I used my iPad 4 for a year, 95% of the time at home. I will use the air with the same usage type, so I am wondering if a full case is needed for protection.

I am thinking about using it naked and have a sleeve to keep the iPad while not in use.

Is the back aluminium case of the iPad resistant enough to be scratch and damage free with such usage?

What are your thoughts on this? What did you do and do you regret it?

Thank you.

Cheers!

2. christurbo macrumors regular

I am going to run mine naked with a sleeve. I use mine at work too.

3. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

I have two ipads, one is used primarily at home. That one I just have a back cover on it. Probably all you need for your Air. There are already some cheap cases and will be plenty of cheap back covers soon. Get a cheap case for now and won't need to spend the exorbitant amount of money on a smart case that you probably won't need later.

4. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Get a screen protector and a thin TPU case for the back. That's all I had on my iPad mini for a whole year and I was fine. When I was leaving the house I had this Speck pouch thingy I would place it in that had a handle and it was perfect for transportation and placing it in bags and stuff. I tried other cases too but they just weren't for me.

Right now I'm using a Speck StyleFolio on my Air and I love it for what it is, but when a good TPU case comes out I'll be changing gears :)

5. gnubelebung macrumors newbie

What actions does your at-home usage of the iPad entail that would pose a significant danger of scratches? Apart from putting the iPad onto tables and the like?

Of course you could wrap it in massive amounts of polymer casing, just to be sure. But if you love danger and feel super crazy like that one guy who posted before and me -- get just a sleeve, gdourado. Woooohh!

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

As others have already suggested just get a TPU back cover and a screen protector. If you want some extra protection you can get the Apple Smart Cover. That's the combination I have on my iPad 3 and what I'm going to have on my iPad Air.

7. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I usually don't like to use protection but for my iPad 4 I made an exception. i use a Smart Case on it. I like the feel of it naked but didn't want to chance any damage. I use it at home and in the car. I can put it on the seat, floor behind the seat or under the seat and not worry about any damage. I'd be paranoid all of the time if I didn't have it safely wrapped. This is one time when I give up having it feel good to be safe.

Why does this post seem so dirty?

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

My hands are always too dry so I'd drop the iPad if I didn't have some kind of case on it that gave it some extra grip.

9. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

I install BSE skins on the back, and when travelling I use a sleeve. At least with the BSE it helps protect the back from scratches.

10. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

11. maclook macrumors 65816

My iPad 2 and 3 looked perfect after using them for a year without a case. That aluminum was perfect.

I'm a little worried about going caseless with the Air though. My iPhone 5 looked beat up after a week of use without a case. It doesn't look like it from afar but once you look closely, you see all of these tiny scratches and dents on the bezel and chamfered edge. I'm assuming the Air is just as susceptible to those kinds of scratches.

12. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

At home, I use a screen protector and dollar store sleeve. I bought a Poetic Slimline case for $.01 on Amazon over the weekend, so that will work when going out.

The glass is thinner than previous iPads, but my Mini did fine when it fell about two feet onto carpet. The YouTube video isn't surprising at all. :eek:

13. Heffneil macrumors newbie

Ipad air is two days old and I noticed I have a bunch of light scratches on my screen. I had my laptop on top of it I believe and when pulling the ipad air out it scratched. Super super disappointing. I might try to take it to the store for advice or a replacement but I'm sure I'm going to be told tough luck. I thought the glass would be more durable. Sigh

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Bummer. I feel for you. I hate scratches. My Air had two tiny marks on the back when I bought it. I didn't notice them until I got them home and everything else was perfect so I tried to polish them out (no luck) and then put a case on so I can't see them anymore. My husband is way too funny as he said it was probably done in the factory where some worker just piled the backs on top of each other. But he wouldn't have liked it one bit if his new iPhone was scratched at the factory. Oh well - such is life - scratches on the back of my iPad should be life's only problem, right?

15. faxao macrumors regular

Ditto.... I am doing the same

16. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I spent $499 on the Air, no way I'm going to go naked when there are so many alternatives to cover it and keep it protected. AND many do not add much additional weight.

Right now, I use a Smart Cover with the Belkin Shield Sheer Matte Case, both bought open box from BB. Good for now!

17. Epiphron macrumors regular

I think the back should be fine. Only thing that worries me is the chamfered edges if the iPhone 5 was anything to go off of

18. Mr.C macrumors 601

The back is easily scratched if not careful.

19. Epiphron macrumors regular

Yea but the edges scratch even easier so I'm more worried about that personally

20. meistervu macrumors 65816

My main reason for getting a case...

Is that I don't find the naked iPad comfortable. I had my Air naked for two days, and every time I pick it up the cold aluminum and sharp edges bothered me. I kept wondering if I would have been happier with the Mini.

Then I got the SmartCase and my perception changed completely. The leather is soft and warm to the touch. It is the difference between sitting in a leather chair versus a metal chair.

What about the added weight? Not noticeable. The SmartCase is amazingly light as it is made of leather, not dense rubber. Every time I picked up my iPad I still marvel at how light the whole thing is.

Sure, the added protection and good look of the case is a bonus, but for me it's about comfort first.

21. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I use a carbon fiber skin from Lucky Skins on the back and an InvisibleShield HD on the screen. Complete scratch protection along with a Smart Cover for normal use. I then have a Moko Slim-Fit Folio that I got for $5 for when I want a bit more protection. Used the same system for my iPad 3 64GB and got $400 out of that iPad. Resale is the only way I can upgrade, so I make sure to protect my devices. :)

22. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I used nothing but a TPU cover on my 3 and my Mini for a year and a half on the 3 and one year on the Mini. Neither were scratched and the TPU gives it a grippy back. They are light weight so probably not good for high drops. Drop them into a sleeve and you're good to go. I have a cheap tpu on my air ATM and a Speck case for when I'm out of the house. My ipad usage is mostly at home so I didn't want to ruin its lightness either.

23. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm thinking of using my rMini naked at home and when I take it out just put it in a folio case.

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Usage varies. How an iPad is used and what it's exposed to varies. You can't just poll people on this. The real question is how willing are you to deal with scratches and damage? That's what you need to use to decide your course of action.

So how is your 4 doing?

25. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

I gave the 4 to my wife. Looks brand new. But had the smart case on since it first came out of the box.