How risky is it to keep my 2012 Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by AZRob, Nov 1, 2018.

1. AZRob macrumors member

Hi all,
    I have a 2012 Mac Mini, which I am thinking of either upgrading or replacing. Now it appears that it will cost a LOT to buy a new 2018 model to replace it.

So I have to ask, what is the risk of holding on to a Mac that is no longer supported by Apple? I expect that next years major MacOS upgrade will exclude my model from coverage - it's right on the edge. Would that mean that future updates after that would not be able to be loaded, or just that they might slow down, or worse render the unit vulnerable to viruses that would otherwise be handled by future upgrades? What kind of drawbacks/risks are we talking about here?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob from AZ

2. ElectronGuru, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

couple of points

a bunch of models just got outdated for the lack of one specific features, metal support. if I could add metal to my 2010 mini, it would run metal and Mohave just fine. point being, its not an age thing so much as a generational thing. and generations are more than a year long. the next culling will be several years deep, so it won't happen next year.

even when it does happen, not supporting the current OS is not the same as being totally unsupported. apple still issues critical updates to some older OS. 10.13 is no longer current, but will receive an update if some new vulnerability is found.

based on 1 and 2, that's minimum two more years before you have to worry about unsupported consequences. In the meantime, retailers will start offering deals, making the nMM easier to get. Until then, the main question is how does the machine work for you and your software?

3. MRrainer macrumors 65816

I think they'll support Mojave at least for another year with security updates, if not longer.
    El Capitan got the Spectre Updates, too.

Start saving now and upgrade when you've got the money together.
    I haven't even upgraded to Mojave (for various reasons).

4. Herbit macrumors newbie

The 2014 Mini has no better specs then the 2012 and was sold until now. I think Apple has to support the 2014 for at least 3 years and the 2012 will also get the updates, because it is not really different.

I upgraded my 2012 with 1 TB SSD and 2 TB Hard Drive (both internal). It would be insane cost wise to replace this with the 2018 Mini at this point.

5. MRrainer macrumors 65816

The 2014 has a better GPU.
    That could be the deal-breaker.

6. chrfr macrumors 604

The 2012 is a very different architecture than the 2014. It's not a safe assumption to think that both the 2012 and 2014 will continue with the same level of OS updates.
    That said, if GPU performance is not a factor, I don't see any risk in keeping a 2012 in service for another year or two.

7. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

The new 2018 Mini looks fantastic, but im also the owner of a 2012 Mini (2.6 quad i7) And it runs so well that im not really in a rush to upgrade. Also, im still running Sierra on it, not even Mojave. It does everything I need. So even if Mojave is the last OS these will run, it will still be more than useable for a good couple of years or more yet.

8. now i see it macrumors 68040

There's no risk using an old machine. I have a 2010 Mac Mini running El Capitan (& Snow Leopard sometimes) and everything works fine for casual workloads. It certainly isn't as powerful as my cheese grater Mac Pro, but it does everything just fine.

9. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

Don't worry too much about not being supported.

You can still run the apps you have been using all along until your Mac Mini physically breaks down.

10. Fishrrman, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The OP ponders:
    "So I have to ask, what is the risk of holding on to a Mac that is no longer supported by Apple?"

Does the Mini still run?
    Does it run well?
    Does it do everything you need for it to do?
    If so... then why are you wringing your hands?

When the time arrives that it DOESN'T do what you need, perhaps that time will become the time to replace it.

The VERY LAST THING I care about is that any of my Macs will not be able to be "updated" with Apple's "latest and greatest" software any more.

And... they all still run just fine, thank you very much.

"What kind of drawbacks/risks are we talking about here?"

My opinion only: not many.

ONE EXCEPTION:
    If you have a lot of older 32 bit software that you want to keep using for the foreseeable future, you might plan on buying "one of the last 32 bit-bootable Macs".

Once the successor to Mojave (OS 10.15) is released by Apple next fall, and once new hardware is being sold that requires 10.15, 32 bit software will no longer run on those Macs. (exception -- could it run under emulation?)

I have 32 bit software that I like and that will not be upgraded, so I plan to buy either a 2018 Mini or a 2017/2019 iMac that will be bootable to either Mojave or High Sierra for the life of that Mac.

That way, I'll have a way to "boot back into the past" when needed to run that software...