How robust is the physical TB connection?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nightfly13, May 14, 2011.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I'm planning to sell my 1,1 Mac Pro and upgrade to an iMac. I don't need massive power (only have a Mac Pro for its upgradeability and capability to support 4 displays). I plan to run my 30" Dell monitor + the iMac most of the time, but I'll also run a HD projector approximately 3 times a week.

Here's my dilema: do I spent the extra money for the 27" to get an extra TB connection so I don't have to hot-swap the 30" for the projector 3 times a week.. would that continual wear and tear be problematic? The dual-link DVI switches I've seen are expensive, $350 and up (and seem to share 1 monitor with 2 systems, not 2 screens with 1 system), so might as well get the 27" iMac. There won't be a time when I need both the 30" and the projector simultaneously, so I'm thinking to go cheaper but don't know if that's a long-term solution.

Input appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's anything like the MDP connection it's very solid. Almost too solid...

3. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

For any port that you're going to be swapping frequently, buy the shortest extension available (or even a hub) and leave it in the computer.

I wish more connectors used clips instead of relying on the connection itself.

4. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

True. However USB is fairly solid without needing any extra clamps.

5. Farthen macrumors member

Clips have other problems. They break very easily if you aren't *super* careful with your cables and wrap them in a velvet cloth or something similar ;)

6. omvs macrumors 6502

If you're worried about stressing the port on the iMac, can you hook the projector into the mdp->duallink-dvi adapter (I assume you'll need one for your 30")

I've done a fair number of swaps on my macbook pro, and the connection feels very solid.

One other noteworth items - once in a while I seem to get a bit of 'snow' on dark sections when using the MDP->dual link converters. This occurs on both my mac-mini->HP 30" and my macbook pro -> ACD 30". Never happened when I drove the HP or ACD directly from a dual-link dvi card, so my suspicion is its coming from the adapter(s).

7. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Good thought, here. I can use the same dual-link MDP-DVI adapter and swap the DVI cable, rather than swap two adapters. Neither solution is very elegant, the 27" is rather attractive. Thanks for the input!