Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

some-dude

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2011
The aluminium chassis sure looks nice... but how much abuse can it take?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
The traditional definition of a rugged notebook is one that can take some limited amount of water, it is designed to for repeated drops onto a hard surface, the ports are sealed to prevent dust and other contaminates from entering the system. So, you might image a Panasonic Toughbook.

By that definition a MacBook Pro isn't rugged at all. Its designed to last for years, not in a desert or a police car, but on a desk or in a padded bag that provides basic protection to the laptop. There is no sealing against water, dust or anything else.

They ARE made with tremendous quality so IF they are taken care of reasonably well they tend to last for YEARS. But, rugged? Not really.

some-dude

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2011
How much abuse can it take before ... what? It stops working? It visibly dents? Ask a meaningful question to get a meaningful answer. (The answer will most likely be "It depends." anyhow)

Ask an open ended question, get open ended answers.

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
put a case on it (everyone makes a case) and throw it on there. I've had my 2007 MBP in a case from day one, and when I take the case off to clean it it hasn't got a scratch on it.

Mind you I travel around the world DJing at clubs, so I definitely put it through it's fair share of ruggedness tests.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Its designed to last for years, not in a desert or a police car, but on a desk or in a padded bag that provides basic protection to the laptop. There is no sealing against water, dust or anything else.

Not to take away from what you are saying, because you are correct... but as a testimonial to how well built these things are.. my 08' MacBook pro (along with my time capsule) recently survived 100,000 miles riding in my pickup truck on a laptop mount, exactly the same as a police car setup. I drove on everything from highways to BUMPY cow pastures.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
A man here on MacRumors accidentally left his backpack un-zipped/closed, he swung it over his shoulder and his MacBook Pro went flying onto the concrete pavement. He posted pics, the corner where it landed bent a bit making the Ethernet port unusable. He then bent it back himself and everything worked 100%. No problems at all.

So I'd say it could some good abusin'

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I use it for games, tuning of motorcycles and cars, folding@home + boinc... take your pick.

Not all of these environments are in my room. Some of them are inside a garage, shop, backyard, in grass, etc.

Holds up fine.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Well I took mine to the mall one day while I was travelling around Oz and i slung it in a shoulder bag with it in a sleeve as well. Walking down the mall I slipped on some water someone has spilt, wobbeled and then fell flat on my ass, but sitting on my laptop bag!!! :eek:

My heart sank as I thought it has to be broke, so I daren't open it for a hour or two. Eventually opened the bag and it was perfectly fine! Not even a scratch,. booted up fine like nothing had happened!

Still can't believe it! My wife looks at her Dell Studio laptop funny and its starts crashing.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
My 15" slipped off my bed 1.5 feet to the carpeted floor and got a small dent in one corner. I was able to bend it back with pliers so that the bottom plate fit normally again. I didn't think about putting some padding between the pliers and the aluminum so the pliers left a slight mark. I don't plan on selling it so it's ok.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
The positive is it's beautiful aluminum. The negative is how easily it dents. I take extreme care with the ones I've had, it's a pain, but worth it.

My friends that are not as picky have small dents and dings in theirs.

It's just the price you pay. Aluminum is soft, anyone who tells you otherwise, is in denial.

There's always the "lucky example" Mac lovers use to defend the product.

Just remember it's "buyer beware" as usual :)

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
i like the story about it flying on to the pavement but im sure that it was off. im sure that if it were in sleep mode and that happened it would not work out to well for the computer.

other than that id say just keep doing more and more rugged things with it till it breaks than buy another one and you'll have your answer. Its the same principle Calvin's dad describes when bridge builders determine how much weight a bridge can hold. they just keep driving heavier and heavier trucks over it till it falls down then they build the bridge again. Simple right:)

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I treat my MacBook Pro and any other Mac as if it's a piece of fine China. The last thing that comes to my mind is how durable is it. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.