How safe are App store apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by UrsaMajor, Mar 23, 2012.

1. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

I was wondering if apple checks every app on their store to make sure they don't have key loggers, virus or malware. I'm 99% sure they don't but someone asked me and I wanted to know for sure.

The stuff in question is these free ad based goofy apps. Like put Katy perry in a pic with you.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

App Store apps can't access things outside of the app except in specific cases (like location, contacts, and photos).

There have been some cases where apps were doing things like uploading your contacts to their servers without telling you (I think Apple fixed that in a recent patch so it has to ask).

Traditional malware like keyloggers that have to run in the background and access things outside of their own folder pretty much aren't possible from an App Store app on a non-jailbroken device.

Not that one will never ever get through the process or find some exploit, but it's pretty unlikely.

Basically what you need to watch out for is personal information. It might not technically be malware but if you download some free gimicky app and give it a bunch of your personal information that could be an issue.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's as safe as you're going to get downloading apps online.