Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
using one of those plastic inserts things....

Okay, that is poorly worded. Let me explain. I bought one of those iHome docks where you can put the iPhone on top and the thing lets you play music or use it as your alarm clock, etc.

Now the problem is, it says you should not dock your iPod/iPhone on it without using one of those little plastic pieces they include for docking (they call them "inserts" I guess).

But my iPhone case makes it slightly thicker all around (its one of those leather Griffin cases), so it does not fit on the dock with the insert when the case is on, though it would fit just fine if it wasn't for the "insert".

I think taking my case off every night and putting it back on every morning is quite an annoying workaround (and the one I'm using at the moment).

My question is, how safe would it be for me to remove the insert and just dock the iPhone on it without it? Would it break my iPhone? The instruction manual claims it would/could, but of course it could just be company covering its own butt so that people don't complain.

No one really goes into my room and the thing is pretty much in one place with no chance of it being knocked over or anything.

Any advice or other workarounds?

Worst case scenario I guess I could just return the damn thing, but I don't really see any alternatives that don't have the "insert".

devobail

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
I have the same clock. I dont use the insert and my phone with case fits perfectly. As long as you dont jerk it on and off the port it should be fine.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Thanks guys, I removed the insert last night and docked with my case on. So much less of a hassle.

I suppose if it breaks within the year it'd be covered by warranty right? I mean as long as I don't admit what happened and play dumb when they ask me. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.