How safe is London?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Dec 10, 2008.

?

How do you feel about safety in London?

1. I feel very safe in all parts of London. It's as safe as it ever was!

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. I feel safe in most parts of London. Any increase in crime is minor.

32 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I feel safe in central London, but try to avoid other parts of the city.

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I look over my shoulder in central London and don't dare set foot in the outskirts.

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. I avoid London entirely nowadays. The gang violence has simply gotten too great.

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This question is both for locals and tourists who've visited.

It seems that any recently posted thread about London (whether it's about visiting, finding a flat or riding the underground) touches in the subject of crime and safety.

I don't think anyone doubts that there's been a lot of talk recently of the increased violence in the greater London area. But is it really as bad as they say, or even close?

Do you behave any differently in public now than you did a few years ago?

If you're a frequent tourist, are there areas you used to visit that you now avoid, or routines you've changed entirely?

In general, do you feel safe in London?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

London is huge. Walking up Lower Clapton Road at 3am or parts of Stockwell are completely different than other parts of town. Saying that, I find London very safe... but the question is utterly meaningless without context.

3. MotleyPete macrumors regular

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

How long is a piece of string? Although I must say I'd feel a lot safer walking around Stockwell at 3am than Lower Clapton Road but only because I know it and more importantly I'm a local.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Which part of the 600 odd square miles did you have in mind?

;)

How safe is Los Angeles?
    How safe is New York?
    How safe is Berlin?
    How safe is Beijing?
    You get the idea…

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I apologize if my original post wasn't clear, but what I was at was is London *less* safe today than it was a few years ago in terms of how *you* experience it.

I don't think the size of the city if relevant to answer this question.

Surely any city - whether its population is 500,000 or 5,000,000 - will have parts that aren't very "safe."

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

In my opinion London hasn't changed much in that regard over the last couple of decades.If you practice the usual safeguards you will be fine,3am and looking like a tourist is not a good combination. There are parts of London that aren't safe at night but I'm not going to name them as people live there, suffice to say they are often not the usual suspects. London is as safe as or safer than comparable cities.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

No more dangerous than New York, Paris, Madrid, etc. etc.

9. Junk DNA macrumors regular

Junk DNA

I live in Stockwell too - have done for 5 years. My view is it (Stockwell) has actually got a bit safer recently. Simple things like decent street lighting help a lot. Though I wouldn't hang around the estates in the early hours....

In general I'd say London is pretty much as it was say 10 years ago, but with the exception that violence amongst teenagers escalates to knives and guns much more quickly than it use to

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

And that wasn't what I was saying either… I was just curious what part of this rather large, sprawling city you were wondering about.

;)

11. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

So for those of you that think London is no different than it was: are you saying that folks who live outside the city but work within it that may have spent some time shopping or visiting pubs after work but now can't wait to get home are overreacting?

I have a lot of good friends who live in London, and they seem to be split into two camps: the majority who don't notice any difference whatsoever in safety and a small sect that fears being anywhere in London after dark.

(Personally, from my visits, I don't feel any less safe today than I did years ago and consider London a very safe place.)

Well, I was wondering about whatever part of the city the person replying is exposed to.

That's the whole reason I added a poll - I'd like to see what individuals feel about their own experience in their "own" London.

Otherwise, I could have just looked up the crime statistics online and that would be that...

12. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Settlements in London have existed since 63AD and a 'City' since 100AD as long as there has been London there has been crime and I would argue that the crime (amoungst other good points of course) has shaped its history into the city it is today!

You will never get a city crime free, myself spending a LOT of time in London but originally from Manchester i'd say i feel about as safe in London now i generally know my way around properly than I do in Manchester.

Crime is all relative, if you have been a victim it seems to have got worse, otherwise i'd say it's probably about as it always has.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Amongst the places I would avoid are mainline rail stations after 11pm on Friday nights,drunk commuters are not the nicest of people as a rule.

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As a rule, BURP.....:D

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I tend to avoid going south of the river or east of the city when I'm in the city, I grew up there but live in yorkshire now.

I generally feel safe in london, I just don't like going to the shadier areas.

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

The times I've been in London, it felt just as safe as my hometown. There are sketchy areas in SLC, but for the most part it's as safe a large city as you get in the USA, and it's nowhere as large as London so I think that says a lot.

SLC

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How safe is the Finchley Road/ Swiss Cottage area? I'm staying in a hotel near there in a couple months.

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Swiss Cottage, bit dubious home of the Swiss Cottage Razor gang.:)

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh.....damn

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I've been out a couple of times around hampstead/swiss cottage areas and never been bothered by anyone ( pretty pissed up late at night i might add )

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That areas pretty safe,but keep in mind there are people in all areas of all cities that will rob you,you'll be fine.

23. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

24. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think you mean Manhattan.

25. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

London is ok to visit as a tourist but a crap place to live.