How safe is XSlimmer on Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asdfTT123, Nov 23, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I just purchased a license of this software because it was relatively cheap and looks extremely useful, but I want to take some percautions before doing anything stupid to my system. Does XSlimmer work on Leopard? I took the entire applications folder and dragged and dropped it into XSlimmer and even the stuff in the utilities folder (including terminal, network utility, etc...) looks like it can be drastically slimmed down as well. Will I be damaging my system if I do any of this or should it be fine?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The latest update is supposedly fully compatible with Leopard. They also claim there's no real risk in running it. If an app becomes unusable after slimming, you can simply revert to the pre-slimmed state.

3. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I emailed the developer team on the day Leopard was launched, since then I think they've released a new version for Leopard support...

anyway it worked fine on my iMac & macbook :)

4. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys...is it safe to slim down utility files? I added my entire applications/utilities folder and it shows drastic 90% slim downs with some of the utilities...

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would think the utilities would be among the safest. They're included in the standard OS X install, so I'd have to imagine the XSlimmer guys would know about any problems with slimming them and would have blacklisted any problem apps.

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i ran the genie and slimmed down everything that wasn't blacklisted and no problems so far.

7. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

does xslimmer actually improve system performance? or is this simply trying to reduce sizes of the binaries on the computer? I am thinking about buying it but only if people really thought it would make things smaller AND faster

8. BVGuitarPlayer macrumors regular

Does anyone else have any insight... tested this program? I am a little weary after reading the small number (from a small sample) of reviews on versiontracker.

Thank you.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

I have been using Xslimmer for 9 months or so, and it works great, even on Leopard.

10. feyn-man macrumors regular

So, on earth, how much space could be free by using it?

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

wise-ass :)

Apple made apps usually get reduced by half or more whereas some others not quite so much.

On your very first slimming, don't be surprised to have your Applications folder reduced down to half of what it once was.

12. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

It works great for me. Although I've only slimmed down maybe ten of my apps. I'm leaving the Apple apps alone though just to be on the safe side.

13. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I used it on Leopard, and I did have one bad side effect: Calculator didn't work, and I can't get it re-installed. x_x Other than that, I've gained 3-4 GB of space. 90% of that on Apple applications. Definitely worth it.

14. WhiteShadow macrumors regular

I think I will have to give this a try, how exactly does it work?

15. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Xslimmer I think made the list of 'pointless applications for Mac' - there are no benefits to speed, size wise - really, if you're that worried about disk space, then maybe one needs to look at getting either a bigger hard disk or wondering whether its required to save every bit of crap.

16. feyn-man macrumors regular

So, once I use XSlimmer I know the size of an app reduced. But if I need to use it to do the same work again after update this application?

17. TheStu macrumors 65816

After an update of an application you will have to run XSlimmer again. They do have a feature where you can drop an installer into Xslimmer and it will slim it as it installs, but I have never used that, so I am not too clear on how it works.

Also, to the other guy that was asking about it speeding up apps... It won't speed them up while they are running, but I have found that slimmed apps do open a little bit faster since they don't have to run through all the source code and say "not PPC, not 64 bit, not japanese, not german... etc" before opening. Instead it only has (for my system) the English, Intel, 32bit code to deal with.

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I used the older version with Leopard with no adverse effects. Running 'Genie' now....

Only XSlimmer could be slimmed. LOL

19. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Well it is a useful program if you want to get rid of all the excess fat in your programs. If you don't use the other languages, don't need the PPC or Intel part of your universal binaries and need to make a little more space on you HD.. think 100MB-1GB (depending on how many apps you have) then Xslimmer can help.

20. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Except with a MacBook Pro, upgrading the internal hard-drive is not really an option. Freeing up a few GB of space is useful.

I used Monolingual when Tiger and deleted about 3GB of language packs with no troubles. Now that I've got Leopard, I'm curious about XSlimmer or similar to maybe free another few GB of space.

21. TerryCPiano macrumors newbie

Is there any other app that work the same a xslimmer, cause I don't feel like buying it?:confused:

22. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

The "lipo" command in Terminal can remove un-needed architectures from your programs, therefore reducing size. For more information, open Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities, or just type "Terminal" in Spotlight) and then type man lipo which will show the manual page for the command. :)

23. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Trimmit (freeware).

Works very well. However, as with all of these kinds of apps I would strongly recommend running them on third-party applications ONLY, not anything installed by OS X itself - this reduces the chances of problems with future system updates.