How safe & recommendable is it to run Software Update through another Wi-Fi network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doxavita, Jun 13, 2013.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

I have my main Wi-Fi network where I can run Software Update without having to worry at all.

When I'm away, however, I have to connect to the internet through another Wi-Fi network: this other network may have more users connected, and I'm not completely sure of what's going on through it...

How safe and recommendable is it if Software Update suddenly runs when I'm connected to this other network?, and if it starts downloading updates in the background...?

I've been told Software Update runs through an encrypted connection and that the system would never install anything that would damage it..., that it might just take a bit longer to download because of the additional users connected...

I was thinking of disabling Software Update and manually running it, say once a month.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine to run Software Update from any Wi-Fi network. The updates are coming from Apple, so you don't have to worry about those updates being compromised. Of course, common sense practices to keep your Mac secure while on any Wi-Fi network still apply, such as keeping your firewall activated and turning file sharing off.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Assuming that someone else on the network is capable and prepared to host a man-in-the-middle attack that creates a doctored copy of a software update that includes some malware that he could use to his advantage, and that he can do this on-the-fly without any obvious delay .........

Apple provides checksum data for their downloads, so that you can confirm the integrity of the download.

4. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

- What if the software update download breaks / gets interrupted?
    - Will the download resume once the internet signal is back? ; or if I connect to another wi-fi network?
    - What if the download gets corrupted as a result of this, will the system know what's going on and take the appropriate measures?

This would be for Snow Leopard 10.6.8

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You would be fine. The DL would resume and if it is corrupted it will stop the install. If you ever notice you will see in the install pane along the bottom it will say "verifying...". What that is doing is checking the file to make sure it is intact before it starts the update.