How scratch prone is the back when naked?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onthecouchagain, Mar 19, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So truthfully how scratch resistant or prone is the back of a naked iPad? Can those with iPad 2s that braved going naked all this time chime in? Please also mention what your habits were like when using the iPad (e.g. Were you extremely careful or not? Etc.)

Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I was careful but not overly careful with my iPad 1 and 2. iPad 1 had no scratches after a year of use, but it was in a case some of that time. iPad 2 was never in a case and had some light scratches, but not bad.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

About as scratch able as an anodized piece of aluminum.

4. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I think that the aluminum back scratches easier than the screen.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

It doesn't get scratched very easily. I never had any scratches on my other iPad, so I don't plan on using a case for my new iPad.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

it all depends if you are careful where u set it down.

7. Macclone macrumors 6502

Hi, my name is iPad. When my back is naked and she digs in with her fingernails, I scratch easily.

8. Red 2 macrumors newbie

Thought I was careful with my iPad 2 but it still gained two scratches, one surprisingly deep i.e. could catch it with my finger nail.

So have reluctantly fitted a Belkin shield to the 'new' iPad.

9. bobright macrumors 601

Iifs ratchets easily if you brushed keys on it or a unclipped fingernail at the back it may scratch.

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Aluminum is easily scratched. I either have a skin on it or I use a folio style case.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Exact same thing happened to my wife's iPad 2 so she put a case on it.

12. MrJoshua-UK macrumors newbie

Has anyone else seen some tiny chips in the aluminium right on the edge, where it meets the glass? I have 2, and I have no idea where they are from :(

13. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I don't mind the scratches on the back as they add character. Scratches on the screen are a big no-no however.

Just enjoy your device and don't worry too much. If you plan on re-selling it however, I can see how scratches on the back might lower resale value. In that case, stick an invisible skins on it.

14. erpetao macrumors regular

Now, the question here is: what amount in dollars it loses in resale value and how does it compare with the price of the invisible skin?

Because if you lose 20$ of resale value but the skin costs you 30$ then it's a bad investment.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Like the others say it scratches VERY easy!

Aluminum is soft and both scratches and dents with ease!:(

16. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Scratches are less of an issue than gouges and chips. Our house has one of those once-fashionable brick fireplaces and my chair is very close. To cut a long story short, the iPad slid down so it was resting against the bricks while on the table. I picked it up and caught the bricks ever so slightly, leaving "chip"-like marks on rim of the iPad.

Similar story with my Macbook Pro, with its aluminium case. Gouges and chips here and there on the edges over the last two years. It's usually transported in a fabric sleeve, inside another bag.

To be honest, aluminium looks great, but for a metals it's actually very soft and a pretty bad choice for a hard-wearing case.

17. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Well the front of my iPAd 2 was pretty much scratch resistant. The smart cover was good enough. The back however, man, I kept it naked there and it did scratch. There was me thinking it would be scratch resistant as Apple's official smart cover meant there was no need for an ADDITIONAL back cover. I must have laid it on a coffee table but thats all it took. I kept the smart cover and the entire device in a neoprene case after that for the dollar store. That was a wise investment.

Yeah, so, yes it does scratch, Be careful and use some form of full bodycover. I kept it in the $1 neoprene case and when it was out I rested it on that. Had no problems ever since.