Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Picked up one of these skins tonight. Fake leather with the most amazingly detailed cut outs I've ever seen, check out that speaker grill!

They even cut out the Apple logo on the back. Aesthetically it looks awesome!
But I'm wondering if I'm leaving a big scratchable target on the back of my phone... How durable is the apple logo? I haven't gotten my phone yet so I don't know what one is like (arrives next week).

Should I put a clear skin under the leather skin to cover the apple logo? Or am I just being over protective at this point?

538706_179273642197379_218029830_n.jpg

560266_179112618880148_1617302741_n.jpg

Last edited:

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Picked up one of these skins tonight. Fake leather with the most amazingly detailed cut outs I've ever seen, check out that speaker grill!

They even cut out the Apple logo on the back. Aesthetically it looks awesome!
But I'm wondering if I'm leaving a big scratchable target on the back of my phone... How durable is the apple logo? I haven't gotten my phone yet so I don't know what one is like (arrives next week).

Should I put a clear skin under the leather skin to cover the apple logo? Or am I just being over protective at this point?

My iPhones always have gotten front screen shields and back shields ASAP. I'd get a back shield.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
So I should put it under the leather skin? It's not a case. More like a protective sticker with a leather pattern.

Yup, that's what I did when applying the Element/Vapor carbon fibre look back for my iPhone 4S. The carbon thing was just a sticker, so I slapped that on top of a rear clear protector.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Yup, that's what I did when applying the Element/Vapor carbon fibre look back for my iPhone 4S. The carbon thing was just a sticker, so I slapped that on top of a rear clear protector.

Cool I will do that. Hope it doesn't make the back too thick.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Those detailed cutouts look fantastic. I can only imagine trying to apply that thing correctly. But I keep looking at the surfaces around the headphone plug and charging plug and thinking they are going to get marked up. Think I'll be checking back to see when these come out. Nice find!

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Report back when you get your skin, Mr. Xiro. I am getting my Bodyguardz carbon fiber skin tonight. I like the fit of these much more though, so I may just scrap the Bodyguardz if this one looks half as good as they present it. What color did you order? They told me only black and white, leather or carbon fiber could be shipped same day for the iPhone 5. I like the black phone, but man the white is a nice contrast and makes that chamfer stand out nicely...

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I threw down for the black carbon version tonight. In email earlier he said it would ship same day, so hopefully it is headed my way tomorrow! I can't wait.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I threw down for the black carbon version tonight. In email earlier he said it would ship same day, so hopefully it is headed my way tomorrow! I can't wait.

I got a black back and red sides as well as white back with white sides. The red sides won't ship until next week... All leather patterned.

I had it on my 4S for about a month and a half... Looked great. Then i sold my 4S for my 5. Held strong and was awesome! I will know about these probably around Friday or so. On the 4S the apple logo want cut out though. I actually haven't gotten my iPhone yet either. It'll be here Friday.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I got an email saying it left Toronto yesterday morning. I'm only in Detroit, so I'm hoping to see it Friday or Saturday.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
You're being overprotective. A skin beneath a full body cover is ridiculous.

After getting the phone finally, I agree. This thing is pretty tough... I'll just have to keep it out of the pocket I keep my rusty nails, thumbtacks and ninja throwing stars in.

----------

It's not for everyone... I dig the white back on black face... white on chrome and white phone would looks great too.

Personally I am just going to put on a black back and red sides on my phone when I get the pieces. Red will be another week or so before I receive it.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Seems that this thread is more about cases etc. than the title question. Anyway, the answer that would give is: it's not scratch-proof at all.

It's not something that bothers me, but I noticed that my iPhone's logo got scratched within a few hours of opening, having been placed on normal tabletops etc maybe a few times.

I'm pretty certain that the Apple logo and 'iPhone' on the back are actually made from a reflective plastic or foil that's glued onto the aluminium back, in the case of the white model, at least. That's my conclusion from my observations of how they reflect light, stand out on the back and from the appearance of the scratches.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Seems that this thread is more about cases etc. than the title question. Anyway, the answer that would give is: it's not scratch-proof at all.

It's not something that bothers me, but I noticed that my iPhone's logo got scratched within a few hours of opening, having been placed on normal tabletops etc maybe a few times.

I'm pretty certain that the Apple logo and 'iPhone' on the back are actually made from a reflective plastic or foil that's glued onto the aluminium back, in the case of the white model, at least. That's my conclusion from my observations of how they reflect light, stand out on the back and from the appearance of the scratches.

Well I'm asking because the skin I'm buying leaves the logo exposed. Thank you for your input. I'll keep that in mind, I have the black one.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Update

304415_10151078443541781_1783512375_n.jpg

269812_10151068812491781_2075628061_n.jpg

Finally got my skins. They were nice enough to send me a white Apple Logo to cover up mine and I think it looks a hell of a lot better like this anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.