How scratch proof is the iPad Air Pro back?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Mar 30, 2016.

1. MrXiro, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

For my last 3 iPads I've installed a Skinomi skin on the back. I leave the glass clean cause I don't like the screen protectors unless they are glass. But the prices for skins for the 12.9 inch Pro are pretty pricey.

How easy is it to scratch the aluminum? I currently only have a Smart Cover on it as I hate how thick cases make the iPad, so I'm debating if I should get a skin.

Edit:It was supposed to say "Air/Pro" back in the title.

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you like landscape mode, I find the silicone Apple case actually makes it a bit easier to hold sometimes. If it's laying on surface and there is debris it could certainly scratch. Portrait mode feels a bit big with the case though.

3. Jukens macrumors regular

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I use mine on job sites the last 4 months, with only a Smart Cover or ASK no scratches. I do tend to set it down on the cover when not using it.

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

6. AliMacs macrumors 6502

You do what I do- this is my ANTI-THEFT mechanism on my IPP:

Racer's Tape and done the quick and real dirty way:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---

Same stuff skinomi uses and better - you can remove without any problems. Sure it's uglier than Donald trump but hey beggars can't be choosers. This was left over roll from my last bicycle application. Thick military grade stuff and definitely would protect against any scratch.

7. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

Do you have an iPhone? I think the material is pretty similar in terms of how scratch resistant it is.

I never use a case, and I generally get a few scratches on the backs of my devices after a year of use or so. And I'm pretty obsessive about where I put them down / I make sure to never slide it on its back.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I do something similar. I use clear Con-Tact paper. It is super thin, provides scratch protection, improves grip, and doesn't look like Larry the Cable Guy's tablet. :eek::D

9. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That's a pretty good idea!!!

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The aluminum is soft and it will scratch over time unless you keep like a towel on the table to park it on. The device is way too slippery for my liking so the smart case is a must and adds very little thickness. When leaving the house I put also attach the smart cover. They are expensive but work good for me.

11. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I have the Smart Cover. Wondering if I should get a skin which I've done for my last 3 iPads. Skinomi used to be super cheap. Under $8. Now they are close to $20. So was seeing if I even need a skin.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have never used a skin. I prefer the smart case and smart cover as it makes the device more sure to grip. My 9.7 is for field work and i want all the grip I can get. Skins would stop the scratches and if thin is most important, it sounds like what you may want.

13. MaulRx Suspended

I just received mine today but I already notice a boat load of scratches around the cell band on the back. Like it was beat into the iPad case with a hammer or something.

14. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That's no good.

15. MaulRx Suspended

Yea it's odd. I won't be returning it or anything but still...

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If you device has scratches on it right out of the box I would not be happy either and be exchanging it at the store. Sorry this happened to you.

17. MaulRx Suspended

Thanks. I'm not upset just shocked.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It happens seldom but seems Apple is not catching it before it gets out the door.

19. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My work was buying a lot of Space Grays in the Fall (full size Pros). Most of them had 3 claw marks in the upper right corner of the back, some more faint than others. It's as if the equipment in manufacturing was doing it to every one of them. My personal one has it to some degree too.