How scratch proof is the iPhone 5S gold

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UBS28, Dec 27, 2013.

?

I have been using my iPhone 5S naked and .....

1. no scratches on my iPhone

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. my iPhone has scratches

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I can't use my headphones nor my IEM if I got the case on my iPhone 5S gold. So now i'm considering of asking a refund for my case and go naked.

Do you have many scratches when not using a case?

2. Ender Wiggins macrumors member

I'd love to know this as well.

Or of any color, for that matter. I'm considering buying the 5s and I hate cases.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

The scratches show less but it is still soft anodized aluminum. They do show less than the grey units.

4. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I only have the Apple logo on my iPhone 5S scratched a little, but that was because, being the un-intelligent person I am, placed and slightly slid the device across hard surfaces. I also have a very small chip in the top-left corner, but that was when I accidentally hit the device against a metal bar, and I hit it hard. Other than that, I keep my phone away from sharp or metal objects in my pocket, so it's fine.

:D

5. Amiz macrumors regular

I have a Gold 5s, it has 0 scratches and I bought it in October, I have been going naked with only a screen and back protector. The only bad thing is that when you tap the 5s against hard metal objects, wooden or anything, it can easily chip/scuff the gold bezel around the side. I have a few of these chips and scuffs due to accidentally putting my phone in the other pocket with coins and loose change. But, cosmetic wear and tear is normal so don't worry.

I am considering getting a replacement due to faulty camera app and touch Id sensor. Any idea I can go about doing this? And has anyone's 5s had rattly/loose power and home buttons? It's really bugging me, doubt I could get a replacement because of this.

6. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

Do you mean the slate models? The space grey has silver sides, so if anything will actually show less than the gold would if scratched...

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'd say it's holding up fabulously.

I've had my gold 5S since 10/12. I have a hairline scratch on the Apple logo and two very small nicks on the chamfered edge that can only be seen in certain light at certain angles.

Absolutely no scratches on the back plate or sides.

I have no case and handle it relatively well. One drop on a hardwood floor.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's going to scratch and dent over the time .... It is less prone than space gray, but it is made of aluminum nevertheless ...

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

There is no slate model. There is a space grey version as you stated, which is grey, not silver. I'd imagined scratches would show more on t his version than gold.

10. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

It being Gold color Doesn't have to do anything with it. Regardless it's skeptical to scratches as any other color iPhone.

11. Gincoma macrumors 6502

I have no scratches yet on my iPhone 5s I decided to take off my Otterbox and go naked except I left a Zagg screen protector on it and so far have no scratches on back of phone or sides...if it does get damaged or scratched in future it adds character to it and makes it my own :cool:

12. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, I can go naked and not worry about scratches with the iPhone 5S gold? :D It seems most people don't have scratches (yet).

13. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

It's starting to feel, to me, like these phones aren't as fragile as we're conditioned to think. The case culture makes you feel like if you go outside without a case the phone is going to explode into shards.

That said, I've broken a phone before and I don't wanna do that again, so a case for me it is.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Well my previous white iPhone 5 hit the edge of a wooden table and it dented :rolleyes:

Aluminum is prone to dents , this is a fact. It's not fragile, an iPhone could survive a drop better than most plastic phones, but is prone to dents.
    A case is a must for me.

15. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It's just a phone, designed to appeal to women & men who get drawn in by the fake exclusivity, or illusion of bling. Those with money are going to replace it yearly anyway.

16. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I have had mine for a month and its perfect but i am also careful where i place it. For example ill get a soft cloth to put it on when laying it down anywhere. Now i have a case but id rather go njde.

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I've replaced it yearly nonetheless, but I need to keep it pristine to preserve resell value

18. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I'm pretty sure no one is under the impression iPhones are in any way "exclusive". They're not the most expensive phones, the hardest to find, anything like that. They're exceedingly common. The illusion of bling would be the Galaxy Note series' fake stitched-on leather back (which looks snazzy IMO).

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Well, here in Italy unsubsidized they actually are the most expensive

20. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

No scratches. Maybe that has to do with my 5s living in a lifeproof. IDK, maybe, but maybe not.

21. SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

Never put a case on my space gray and I've had it since October.
    The glass on the top and bottom of the back of the phone can get easily scratched but it's not too noticeable. The middle part is flawless.

22. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

I alternate from leather apple case to "nude" and my launch day space grey is flawless still, I think if you look after it a little anyone should be fine.