How scratch resistance is the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ruk110, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ruk110 macrumors regular

ruk110

does anybody have any idea? Statistics say one thing but has anybody's iPhone 4 been scratched yet? Upload pix and share!

2. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Its not 100% scratch resistant.

PERSONALLY, i find the iphone 4 is more scratch proof than the iPhone 3GS. I have had it over a month and i have only very very light scratches that you'd only see under bright sunlight. So not taking a picture, cause I'll probably never get them on camera.

If it worries you so much, buy a screen protector. like £1 of ebay

3. ruk110 thread starter macrumors regular

ruk110

i dont mind buying a screen protector and sticking it on, the only thing that gets to me about that is that after applying the protector onto the front of the screen will the ease of stroking the screen and using it become different or harder due to having a layer of plastic on top and not the smooth glass?

4. mangohippo macrumors member

Its about as scratch resistant as you'd expect a piece of glass to be; which is to say its not very scratch resistant. I've had my phone since launch and I've already nicked the bottom (nice little chunk missing) and put minor scratches on the back. The front appears to be superior and I don't have any scratches there, but the back seems to get scratched my a strong wind.

5. danno1769 macrumors member

The lower back of mine is scratched, not deep but its been like that since I had it. I think its from just general setting it down and sliding it around on my desk here at work. Im trying to figure out how to buff those out now I have a bumper on the device.

6. ezl macrumors newbie

No Problem

I had a screen protector on my 3G and it didn't affect the sensitivity or usage at all. I'll eventually put one on my ip4, just haven't gotten around to it.

A word of advice: put it on very patiently and carefully and in a very clean place (no dust, lint, etc.). They can be a pain to put on, but if you do it well it's virtually invisible and will stay in place. If you do it poorly, though, it's ugly as sin - bubbles under the protector, little pieces of lint trapped under there, etc.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Not very scratch resistant. After some time, you will begin to notice scratches that you have no idea how they got there.

8. cjthebest macrumors member

I dropped my iPhone 4 on tile. It was a 3 inch drop. The side steel band has a dent and it landed on the front. The front glass has two CHIPS in it! They are only the size of a crumb, but it looks like my screen is dirty. I can't believe how this glass was advertised to be used in helicopters and how chemically strengthened it is. Be carful with you iPhone 4!

9. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I think you mean plexi-glass. I think real glass can only be scratched by a diamond (or so I though anyway)... I think if the iphone 4 was real glass it would be darn near impossible to scratch - but shattering would be a huge issue.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You have to remember though - on a helicopter this glass is a massive pane, and therefore can withstand a lot more pressure. A small rectangle used on something like a phone is a lot more brittle (especially being held in place by a tight steel band), and doesn't take impact as well.

11. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The iPhone 4's design puts the glass flat-down on any surface you lay it on, front or back. There's also an oliophobic coating on the glass too.

Add a few grains of sandy grit from your pocket, and you'll get marks on the glass.

My advice, get a case (or bumper) with at least some amount of protrusion around the glass to give it a little bit of "lift". Better yet, add a good screen protector to the package.

Sean

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

that makes no logical sense to me. smaller would equal stronger, in my opinion.

13. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Not only the glass to worry about scratching but the softer coatings as well. I put on the power support clear film as cheap insurance. Always had it on my other iPhones and never had any issues.

14. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

To shattering? Nope...larger allows more surface area to absorb impact and provide some flex.

For scratching it doesn't matter big or small but a little ding or scratch on a large window is nothing...but on a small piece like the iPhone it's more noticeable.

15. ruk110 thread starter macrumors regular

ruk110

also think about it, the larger the glass pane is, the thicker its going to be otherwise it would just be impossible to handle without bending/shattering

16. ruk110 thread starter macrumors regular

ruk110

****, i just scratched mine. its that irritating swirl scratch and its annoying me, also has anybody noticed the tiniest of 'chips' if u can call them that on the front screen after a while of use, i cant seem to scrape them off so they must be pits