Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why don't they just put sapphire on these things. Sure they shatter when dropped but the regular glass ones break anyway, so that's a lame excuse not to go with sapphire.

Last edited:

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Had a naked iPhone 5 for 2 years and never noticed a scratch, even when tilting it in the light to look for any. Maybe they were there, but they weren't noticeable to me. Plan to keep the 6 naked too.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013

That is horrific.

The only part of that which is of any use is the key test and even then he was being overly rough.

That knife part is stupid. It was not a scratch test, he was sawing the damn thing ! And as for the hammer well duh >.>

----------

Why don't they just put sapphire on these things. Sure they shatter when dropped but the regular glass ones break anyway, so that's a lame excuse not to go with sapphire.

The sapphire production was missed by a few weeks and to put back and postpone production would of cost millions. I expect them to be on the 6S and 6S Plus as if this its to be believed they have all this sapphire now stockpiled and ready to go and will be potentially no good for the 7 as a new body style is surely expected.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Did you think the 4S scratched more than the 5/5S did? That means stuff has improved...

Absolutely. The 4S could get scratched and become visible easy. I'm 99.9% sure my 5 was scratch free after selling it a year without a screen protector. My 5S, I'm positive it was scratch free after a year without a screen protector.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
The ultimate screen scratch video with explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ANcWQEUI8

Also compares ip5 to ip6

In short. Metal is softer than the ip6 screen so can't scratch it. However, sand and grit (like what can live in your pockets) can.

Heres a little known fact. Dust, that stuff all around your house is actually quite hard and abrasive. So if you clean your screen and there is dust there is a fine chance of you causing micro scratches.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
...false. I've never seen a scratch on my 5S screen. Well, maybe they are there. But I'm put a pretty scrupulous eye to my screen and never observed ANY abrasion.
Nope.

I believe you've never seen them, but I guarantee they are there.

Not noticing them and not having them are 2 different things, yes you could argue if you can't notice who cares, but small scratches lead to big ones. Not worth the risk.

Last edited:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
What iPhones have you had?

My 5S didn't scratch. I don't think my 5 did either. The 4S could scratch bad.

My 6 has scratches already, my 5S did not, but my 5 did. It's just a phone, now it's uniquely mine. My year old Nexus 5 is perfect but they're known to be durable. You can't expect it to be thin and strong.

Like all other issues, it's probably going to be improved by next year's model, no worries.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
My 6 has scratches already, my 5S did not, but my 5 did. It's just a phone, now it's uniquely mine. My year old Nexus 5 is perfect but they're known to be durable. You can't expect it to be thin and strong.

Like all other issues, it's probably going to be improved by next year's model, no worries.

Scratches on the screen already?

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Nope.

I believe you've never seen them, but I guarantee they are there.

Not noticing them and not having them are 2 different things, yes you could argue if you can't notice who cares, but small scratches lead to big ones. Not worth the risk.

While I observe your point, I do think it is a moot one; for me at least :) Everything scratches by that logic, doesn't it? Most people aren't going to place their screens under that level of scrutiny. And by most people, I mean more than the people on MacRumors, as this site is not representative of the iPhone user base.

But, point taken ;)

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Well that's ok then :-/
Not forgetting of course that next year's model will also be a mass-produced lottery.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I use screen protectors because I hate scratches, but also because I hate how the screen smudges so badly after the coating comes off over time.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
The sapphire production was missed by a few weeks and to put back and postpone production would of cost millions. I expect them to be on the 6S and 6S Plus as if this its to be believed they have all this sapphire now stockpiled and ready to go and will be potentially no good for the 7 as a new body style is surely expected.

That was just a rumor that most people didn't believe, and has since been refuted. It is pretty obvious that Apple knew they wouldn't have near enough sapphire to put on iPhones.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

Why don't they just put diamond coating on the body so the phone can never be scratched. Really? You're seriously underestimating just what it takes and another tiny detail called cost.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013

more money plus rumors they couldn't get as many screens as they needed.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I was at my local Apple Store tonight exchanging my iPhone 6 due to a dead pixel. I asked the employee helping me if he recommended any specific brand of screen protector. He told me he recommends not using one at all. Then took his keys out and fairly aggressively tried to "key" the screen of his iPad. It didn't leave a mark. Kinda nice for demonstration purposes, but we all know these screens get scratches over time. My dilemma is that the Ghost Armor kiosk in my mall closed and I suck at putting screen protectors on. I may try to go without a screen protector for this phone and see how it turns out.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why don't they just put diamond coating on the body so the phone can never be scratched. Really? You're seriously underestimating just what it takes and another tiny detail called cost.

It's more expensive but if the price went up by $50 would anyone bat an eyelid? I spend $30 on a quality screen protector anyway.

SA22C

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
Top Gear Test Track.
I'm not a fan of screen protectors so I bought a folio/flip case for my new iPhone 6. It's actually pretty nice and I know that there's something between the screen and my pockets. Should help keep it scratch-free.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
The iPhone 6 i received on Friday had a few hairline scratches on the screen out of the box

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
That is horrific.

The only part of that which is of any use is the key test and even then he was being overly rough.

That knife part is stupid. It was not a scratch test, he was sawing the damn thing ! And as for the hammer well duh >.>

----------

3GS - S for Speed
4S - S for Siri
5S - S for Security (Touch ID)
6S - S for Sapphire

6S main feature confirmed

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
Got my 6 yesterday. Last night under bright kitchen lights I noticed two vertical scratches on the glass. Each about 1-2 mm long. Lower left under the screen. I don't know if they were there out of the box or not as I didn't notice them till last night. It's possible my pocket or shirt sleeve did it, but seems more likely they were there and I didn't notice out of the box. Im not sure. Bummer either way.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I've had the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5. I have never had a visible scratch. Never used a case nor a screen protector. I'm sure someone could see one if they examined the phones under a microscope, but that's irrelevant to me and my subsequent buyers.

I have no plans to use a screen protector on my current 6.

I was so glad to walk away from screen protectors when I switched from the Palm Treo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.