Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2010
So let me get this straight... Apple takes a **** on you, as a consumer, by using the cheapest materials they can find to manufacture your computer...

And your solution to this problem is to wrap the computer up in some sort of scratch resistant coating? When did Apple manufacturing products that easily chip, ding, dent, and show signs of wear at the slightest provocation become the norm?

-SC

I'll give you easily scratched pretty materials instead of practical materials. But cheapest materials? Certainly not.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
So let me get this straight... Apple takes a **** on you, as a consumer, by using the cheapest materials they can find to manufacture your computer...

And your solution to this problem is to wrap the computer up in some sort of scratch resistant coating? When did Apple manufacturing products that easily chip, ding, dent, and show signs of wear at the slightest provocation become the norm?

-SC

What? I'd hardly call Aluminium and the processes they have used cheap. Pressure formed single block aluminium is expensive as hell.

Plastic is cheap and in many cases non-recylable.

No the solution is not scratch it with your keys when you put it in your pockets... cos that's what you are all doing isn't it?

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Um. Just don't scratch it. What do you people do on your desks?!!?

It's not a phone. It's not going in your pocket with your keys.

----------

...and seriously are you talking about a tea cosy for a MacPro?

I am shaking my head at you very slowly at the moment :)

I almost spat my pg tips all over the iPad looking at that! Memories of Lenny Henry with decondensed milk flooding back :)

Gonk42

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
near Cambridge
Just point one of these at it:

Instant readout of the temperature of about anything you point it at. (A front surface mirror will read the temperature of whatever is reflected in the mirror. A rear surface mirror will read the temperature of the mirror glass itself. Highly polished metal behaves like a front-surface mirror.)

I keep one of these in the office for measuring computer inlet/outlet temperatures and the HVAC outputs. Have one at home for all kinds of things (how hot is the tap water, is that red wine at the perfect serving temperature of 15°, is the oven thermostat accurate,...).

If you really want to be cool, get one of these guys:

I looked into IR thermometers for measuring heatsink temperature a couple of years ago. The problem I found was that they are generally calibrated for a particular emissivity (typically 0.95 for building materials). In particular they are designed for matt dull surfaces and are rather inaccurate for shiny metal (which has an emissivity of around 0.05) - you need to put a blob of black paint on! The more expensive ones do allow you to enter an emissivity value but then you need to work out what it is.

Last edited:

Wankershim

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Out West
Again, they are scuffs. Can't feel them with your fingers or nails, but are visible when the light hits a certain way.

The human eye has an amazing capacity for noticing surface variation. I can't remember the exact numbers (My Metrology classes are far behind me at this point) But I do remember that we are capable of seeing 'blemishes' that are difficult to measure, even with the appropriate equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.