Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greymouser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Obviously no one has their hands on the iphone, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the glass on the iphone, and how resistant to scratches it will be.

I'm going to be carrying this in my pocket, and I'd hate to have it pick up tons of scratches from change, keys or whatever else it comes into contact with.

My video ipod seems to be fairly clean, but that's because I keep it in either the soft doeskin case it came with or a Griffin hard shell case. But with the touch screen it seems like you need to keep the screen uncovered for use.

Any ideas on this?

(Oh, and sorry if this has already been covered. I searched, but couldn't find anything...)

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I plan to use it naked in my pocket, or get a think sleeve for it (like the newer iPod leather case).

But from what I've read in the NYT and WSJ reviews, they've put the iPhone in their pocket with keys, coins, pens, etc and they still look almost brand new.

retnuh730

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Mississippi!
I have the Moto KRZR, which has the same type of glass along the front, and i've had it since november. It looks like the day I got it, virtually no scratches at all.

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
why would you put keys or change in the pocket with a 499-599$ phone??? I dont do that even with my 30GB ipod, would hate to get even a small scratch on it, let alone keep it in a pocket with anything else in there.

retnuh730

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Mississippi!
The KRZR has an optical glass exterior?

I recall that it's some type of glass. Are there that many different types? If the iPhone's screen is anything like mine, which the reviews tend to make it sound like it is, i might not even need a case for my pocket.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
why would you put keys or change in the pocket with a 499-599$ phone??? I dont do that even with my 30GB ipod, would hate to get even a small scratch on it, let alone keep it in a pocket with anything else in there.

Same here. iPod in one pocket, phone in the other. Keys on belt loop. Wallet in back pocket. Anything else usually goes in the phone pocket.

Now I'll have the iPhone all alone in the phone pocket and my other pocket open as a junk pocket.

iCe Cube

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Near Glasgow, Scotland
I think it seems pretty scratch resistant from the reviews, but you won't really know till you get one. In my opinion, if youre spending all that money for it, you may as well fork out for some case/cover....then admire its nakedness in a protective environment :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.