Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2010
If I install virtual box and install Windows within it as one virtual machine. Can viruses or other malware / trojans -- whatever you want to call it -- infect the host machine (imac)? Or can the virtual Windows install get totally effed up beyond all recognition and when I close Virtual box everything goes away? Is it better to actually delete that virtual machine periodically?

I guess my question is just how compartmentalized is the Virtual Box environment? Completely, mostly, sort of?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It's a completely separate OS, so anything you do with it goes away once you close the VM. No viruses that can affect Windows will run on your Mac anyhow, so there's nothing to worry about. That said, a free antivirus program wouldn't be a bad idea to install on the windows VM if you're going to use the internet on it.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Yes, I could install an antivirus on it. That would help. I don't run anything on my imac and I've gotten a little spoiled by it.

I didn't think there would be anyway for a PC virus to migrate to the Mac side, but wanted to make sure. It's really only Quicken that I want to run on it, but since it will need internet access, I was concerned. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.