How secure is EDGE network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silbeej, Jan 9, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Say i go somewhere for a few months over the summer/anytime, and do not have internet access, and only my iPhone. How secure/safe would it be to pay my bills over the EDGE network?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No more, or less, secure/safe than paying your bills over the normal intertubes.

EDGE is just a way connecting HTTP requests form your mobile device to the internet. Once your request leaves the EDGE network it's just a normal HTTP request.

You should always pay your bills over SSL, whether or not you're mobile.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm confident...

whether it's a transaction on eBay, PayPal, BofA, or Wells Fargo, that my transaction on my MacBook, Mac Pro or iPhone are pretty secure. I've been conducting "business as usual" on my iPhone, just as I do on my MacBook & Mac Pro, and have not had a problem with WiFi, EDGE or my DSL at home. I've been doing financial transactions via the internet since the early '90's and feel more confident via the internet than I do with the telephone! I'm yet, to have ID Theft or Fraud, since I have protection via my banks and credit cards and as soon as a transaction occurs, I'm notified via email alerts right to my iPhone! Not sure if this answers your question, but it's just MHO---:cool:

4. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just wondering if it was as secure to pay stuff over the EDGE network as it is to pay over my secured wifi network at home, thats all.