How secure is mobile phone data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaynieGorilla, Feb 25, 2014.

1. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

Does anyone know? Or is it pretty much as secure as a password protected home wifi?

2. Deguello macrumors 6502

Are you accessing data via SSL or via clear text?

3. LaynieGorilla thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not sure. I know some sites that I use have https in front (which I think means that it uses SSL) but I am not sure about the rest. I'm just curious to know whether it is just as risky as using a open connection at a coffee shop.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

over your network I'm pretty sure it is very secure. over wifi it is a different story.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The type of equipment required to eavesdrop on a 3G/4G data connection is a bit more expensive and specialized than the equipment required to eavesdrop on a Wi-Fi connection. That said, I would say it is somewhat less secure than a home Internet connection over a wired network, though even that has its own security risks in some cases.

The bottom line is, no Internet connection is fully secure. SSL gives reasonably good security, so long as you're sure that the sites you're going to are using it. If you have any concerns about security, and are not sure whether the connection you're using is encrypted over SSL or something similar, then you should really consider subscribing to a VPN service. That's the only way to have at least some reasonable expectation of security from your end.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

From regular folks it's pretty secure. From the NSA, not so much.

7. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

what about just logging into your bank account from the bank app using 3g data? Is that safe?

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Its virtually impossible to hack over the air cellular data transmissions. Breaches will occur on your phone or the website.