How secure is my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John89, Jun 14, 2010.

1. John89 macrumors regular

So...recently I've had my facebook and banks logged into by someone in the US (I'm from the UK). Luckily my bank realised that it couldn't be right so they blocked the account and informed me of what had happend. Similar things with Facebook, was emailed saying it had been accessed by someone in the US.

So I've desided to clamp down on security side of things with my mac. I've been a mac owner for about 4 years and have always had the impression that macs were secure and nothing would go wrong. (you know the feeling right?)

So far I've...

-Switched the OSX firewall on. Only essential services allowed with 'Stealth Mode' switched on.

-Purchased Little Snitch and made some rules. Would be nice if someone could let me know what they do with rules on 3rd party applications such as DropBox, Skype & CandyBar. Do you trust these applications with unlimited access to the internet?

-I've also purchased 1Password and have started changing all my passwords to 20 characters.

-My router also has a built in hardware firewall which I have switched on.

Anyone think this is secure enough? Anymore suggestions as to how I can improve?

Thanks for your time,
    John

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

DropBox, Skype etc are reliable thus give them full access. There have been several FaceBook viruses in past few weeks so if you use a lot apps in FaceBook, you might be in danger.

3. John89 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Hellhammer,

I assume you mean applications on the website itself? I have none of the mainly because I hate the clutter on my page, and quite a lot of them post crap on mine and my friends pages.

I do however have a desktop facebook application that has a couple of connections on LittleSnitch. This is it... http://www.facebook.com/notifier

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Okay, then someone may have just hacked you as you didn't even have firewall enabled. I also have FaceBook Notifier and I wouldn't worry about it, it seems to be legit. Little Snitch should tell you about every bit that comes or leaves your computer so you should be safe

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Hacked your MacBook? Not hardly. In order to remotely access your laptop, a lot of improbable events would have to align. It is much more likely that you knowingly or unknowingly gave someone physical access to your computer.

But hacking your Facebook and bank accounts? Something else may be afoot. Without knowing something about you and your computer usage, it is anyone's guess what happened.