How secure is my MBA?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Handle, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Handle macrumors regular

I just bought a MBA. In the past, with my iMac, I never had it require a password to turn on or come out of sleep. But now that I have a laptop that I will be taking out of the home, I am reconsidering that.

I'm just curious how secure OS X is? Can someone relatively easily get past the security or is it pretty secure?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even with a password it is trivial to reset that password and get into your system. See this.

If you are concerned at all about securing your MBA, you will want to turn on Filevault flu disk encryption. If you have Filevault turned on and someone steals your MBA, they are not going to be able to access your data.

3. Handle thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's crazy. I wonder how many people think their stuff is safe because they have a password set.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

firmware password (sorry, on the run...google it)...

5. mfram macrumors 65816

Even with a firmware password set on your MBA, someone can remove the data drive from your MBA and read the data off with an external adapter or by putting it in another computer.

FileVault2 eliminates this possibility as well. In short, if you want your data secured use FileVault2 to encrypt the drive. Make sure to set a good password. If they can guess your password then an attacker can still get your data.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

FileVault 2 alone isn't enough, set an EFI password to lock down the EFI as well to prevent booting from secondary devices, Recovery, single user mode or even TDM.

7. NoBoMac macrumors 65816

What mfram said re: strong password. Person with right tools and skills will be able to crack the passcode "offline".

8. Handle thread starter macrumors regular