How "self-powered" are the LED Cinema's USB ports?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamfishercox, Jul 14, 2009.

1. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Apple lists on their website that the USB ports on the LED Cinema Display are self-powered. Does this mean that i can plug my iPod into it and have it charge even if my laptop isn't attached to the monitor?

I know that with my 23" Aluminum Cinema Display, there was only power to the ports if the monitor was plugged into the computer (which seems stupid, as the monitor *does* have its own power supply...)

Can anyone with a LED Cinema verify this?

2. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't think so, but don't take my word for it. Ask a Genius at an Apple Store. You might be able to have them try it out if they haven't already.

4. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I just tried it and it does NOT work for me. I disconnected all plugs from my MB, plugged my iPhone cable directly in the back of the monitor, and nothing. Same with a standard powered hub. So, I wouldn't count on this being your solution... (unless, of course, I've screwed something up -- it's been known to happen)

5. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I have set up both a LG monitor and a powered hub, neither supply charging power without a computer. Not that Apple is the same way, just speaking from past experience, your chances are low. If you do have a USB AC adapter, you may be able to plug the USB cable from the monitor into that and possibly be able to charge your devices.