All iPads How severe is the additional 64-bit memory overhead usage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jawnathin, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

With the same 1GB on the 32-bit iPad4s and 64-bit Air/rMinis, how severe is the 64-bit memory overhead vs 32-bit?

I've been doing some research and lots of people quoting the Anandtech's review of 20-30% additional usage. That number is great and all, but I'm more interested in real world usage. Does it feel about the same in use or is there a noticeable decrease in available memory between the A6Xs and A7s?

I know memory is a sensitive topic around here but hope to get some feedback from those with experience. Thanks.

2. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

The new air has 2gb of RAM.

I would believe anandtech though, they usually are very in depth and I've never seen them get too much that wrong. A 20-30 percent difference in memory used will surely show in usage.

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I had the iPhone 5 and 5S. This is totally a gut feeling, but the 5 always seemed to run more "smoothly," even though it also felt a bit slower. Things like apps closing when switching between them, and so on. To me, though, 1GB in even the 5S is "enough" for current uses.

I also have an iPad Air, and I definitely notice the issues with apps (and especially Safari tabs) leaving memory. I know someone with an iPad 4, and it seemed to run more smoothly. I'd suggest dropping the extra $100 on the iPad Air 2, since early reports are that the additional RAM helps significantly.

(And please, lets not debate whether it's really a "software" issue. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Software issues can be addressed with better hardware. Is it optimal? No. But it does address the problem.)

4. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

It's not a software issue. With the amount of resolution a ipad pushes and all the content on web pages you fill up the tiny amount of ram quickly. Especially considering that on boot (on an iphone at least) only around 250-350 mb of RAM is actually usable.

5. Jawnathin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I'm aware the Air2 has 2gb of ram. My post and inquiry is specific to the A7 Air 1 and rMinis. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Thanks.

Understand Anandtech has great reviews, I do believe there is indeed an additional memory consumption as they stated. I am just trying to see what that 20% really means when using it from those that had experience with both. While the % is important to know, sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story.

----------

Thanks for your feedback. Very interesting the iPad 4 felt smoother. I figure the A7 being 2x faster would have been a very noticeable improvement in smoothness. My 4 does reload tabs, not enough for me to complain about it, but enough to be noticeable. Just trying to see if the Air will be similar or there would be a noticeable difference in the real world.

I wouldn't be buying a new Air, so the difference between the Air & Air 2 is much more than just $100. Closer to $300-350.

6. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Depends on what you are using the Air for. Disregarding specs, the air is a very capable maching. I use it for reading, web browsing and occasionally photo editing, design, and sketching. Never had any issues that were so bothersome where i even thought, "wow i need a faster upgrade".

Yeah the fact that you can get a 64gb LTE refurb Air is an insanely good price. I would honestly recommend that route over the air 2.