How should an iSight work with a Clamshell?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ariii, May 28, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Once my Clamshell has 512 MB RAM and a Panther/Tiger upgrade, I think I might want to get an iSight webcam, which would also mean I could use it with my other Macs. I would use both Pidgin for my Debian partition, and iChat/Skype for my OS X partition. Would this be laggy if it was all I had up? And how would it run with maybe a couple light websites open at once?

2. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

3. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Mine has a FireWire. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't know how it would go on your Mac, but on my PowerBook it takes very little in the way of CPU or RAM and has great picture.

I had a USB cam for a while and anytime I used it with Skype my CPU pegged between 90 to 100%. And that was with everything shut down except Skype.

All the way around it's just a better cam.

5. Ariii, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Oh... thanks! I'll try it. And a USB camera probably would be really, really slow anyways since I don't have USB 2.0. I'm going to try it. I hope I can get a good price for it on eBay. I already have a $20 USB camera that couldn't even work well on a 1.5-ish GHz Mac Mini.

Does anybody know if there's a mount for it though?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

IIRC, if you get a complete package you'll get a clamp for your LCD, a magnetic mount and some other sort of mount.

I got a bare bones iSight from eBay for about $58 (never used, university surplus). It came with the clamp (I lucked out), but it also came with a standard FW cable. The problem with that is that to route the cable through the clamp you need the thin FW cable type. So, I had to go down to my local Frys Electronics and buy an Apple one.

I have no idea if the clamp would work on your Clamshell or not as originally the iSight was designed for the Aluminum (Titanium?) PowerBooks, but I wouldn't get one without the clamp unless you find a really good deal.