Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
My friend wants to but a MacBook pro 15'', he is planning on maxing it out, so it will come to about £3000.
However the earliest he could buy it is probably late august. He has asked me whether he should wait to the next update or just get it then?
Also what would be the latest he should buy before it becomes 'buying outdated products'?

I have no idea what to advise him as I don't really know apples update cycle.
I know you shouldn't chase the next best thing in technology, but I can understand why he would be annoyed if he bought it and a new one came out a month later.

Edit: Sorry about putting this in the wrong place, accidently clicked on MacBook instead of MacBook pro.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

There is a slight/low chance of updates in the late autumn, but more likely those MBPs are updated in January/February 2011.

Also know, that buying RAM and SSD/HDD from Apple will cost more than buying from some third party, thus your friend could save some money.

Thanks.
Also I know hlit would be cheaper that way, but my friend is completely computer illiterate and wouldn't know what parts to buy. I'm no help as it has taken me I've a year ti figure out the parts I need to build my own pc.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks.
Also I know hlit would be cheaper that way, but my friend is completely computer illiterate and wouldn't know what parts to buy. I'm no help as it has taken me I've a year ti figure out the parts I need to build my own pc.

You can always come here and ask for advice and to replace RAM and HDD is quite easy, as Apple provides a guide and ifixit has even ones with pictures.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Thanks.

Why does a "computer illiterate" need to "max out" a MacBook Pro? Perhaps if you could provide his expected use/needs for the computer, he would get better advise about what to buy and save a ton of money.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Why does a "computer illiterate" need to "max out" a MacBook Pro? Perhaps if you could provide his expected use/needs for the computer, he would get better advise about what to buy and save a ton of money.

As far as I know it will be used for heavy graphical work, and 3d rendering etc. Probably the occasional game, but who doesn't do that.
Then just as a normal computer I.e Internet, word documents, photo editing, movie editing etc etc.

All I know is he last laptop (yes laptop the will be his first MacBook) had slightly worse specs then a maxed out mbp and it used to struggle when he was rendering.
Well actually I don't think it had an SDD drive.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Can you get any size SDD then as longas it fits?

Yes.

Also is that link abit outdated? Seeing as you can now get i7 on a MacBook pro.

The first link:

29ges1k.jpg

The second link is also still valid, but if you want to see it for yourself, go to http://www.macsales.com and browse Memory Upgrade and Internal Storage yourself.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Ok I passed on the info and he asked if changing them would cause problems if sending it in for repairs?

Sometimes it can. If your friend keeps the original HDD and RAM, s/he should put them back before sending it to Apple, as there are several stories of Apple returning Macs in their original state, meaning, if someone updated from 2 to 4GB RAM her/himself, it came back with the 2GB it was originally sold with. The same goes for HDD/SSDs.

you should learn how to spell advise first.

Never, ever go to Face/LameBook.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
you should learn how to spell advise first.

Sorry, I was rushing this after just waking up. I had promised my mate I would ask last night but forgot and he was pestering me.

Sometimes it can. If your friend keeps the original HDD and RAM, s/he should put them back before sending it to Apple, as there are several stories of Apple returning Macs in their original state, meaning, if someone updated from 2 to 4GB RAM her/himself, it came back with the 2GB it was originally sold with. The same goes for HDD/SSDs.

Never, ever go to Face/LameBook.

Fair enough. There goes my idea of selling the original HDD/SDD/RAM.
I've decided I'm going to upgrade what I have I'm mine also, this thread has been rather helpful :D
Would love a 1Tb SDD but damn they are expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.