How should i get a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mexbearpig, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Ok so I wanted to buy a Mabook pro soon. I am only willing to pay $1,300. I wanted to get a 15' model. In the refurb store they are going for $1299. Hence my budget. Im am in high school right now. Im not sure if that will get me the education discount or whatever. But if i cant, my family is good friends with a teacher that we can purchase it on behalf of her and get the discount.
    So what should I do?
    -Should I just buy it as a refurb?
    -Or should i look on craigslist for a cheaper one?

Which one should i do?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Is the edu price better than the refurb price? I would go the cheaper route especially as a starving student. The refurbs come with the same warranty a new one does. :)

3. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

If you can stand a smaller screen, get a refurbished 2.4 unibody MacBook 13", they are $999. Which mbp are you considering (2.4,2.53)? You could get a 2.33Ghz 17" MBP for the amount you are talking about. I wouldn't go to craigslist first, try eBay. If you have the room, get a PowerMac or an Intel iMac, then get an Apple netbook, the 1.5Ghz PowerBook 12".

4. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I am only looking at the macbook pros. Dont need a desktop. And both of my familys laptop have a 17" screen so I will probably die with 13". Hopefully by the end of the week I will go to best buy and compare the screen sizes.
    And i was looking at the low end 15"

With the education discount, it is $100 off. Refurb is $300 off. Im just about to delete the option from my original post. I cant get the ipod so i cant stand to pay 1500 when i can pay 1300 for almost the exact same thing.

5. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I get where you are coming from, I am in high school, and I had a set budget. The 2.4 15" MBP is a good machine, and you will like it. When you say you don't need a desktop, does that mean you can't get one or you just don't want it? I got a Quad processor PowerMac for a really really good deal, and I love it.

6. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Sorry but not interested. I want the portability. And at that i dont want anytype of desktop. I am fixed on the current model MBP ONLY.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd buy something either new or from Apple, just better peace of mind, don't have to worry about getting ripped off.

8. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Yeah. I think ill just get the refurb to save some cash.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. Rerurbs are great because they are like new and if you have problems with it, it's easiest if you've bough it from Apple

10. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Ok. Thats what I will do. And also, i am looking at a 15" Refurb. Although it says it has a 2.4GHz. But when I look at the low end 15" it has a 2.53GHz. Am I missing something here?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's previous gen model.

12. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Ohhhh. Beside the .13ghz is there anything different between the older model and the new one?

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Old one has:

+ Express Slot instead of SD card slot
    + 9600GT + 9400M

- 0.13GHz slower CPU (unnoticeable)
    - Worse battery (but user changeable)
    - Can only take 4GB of RAM (6GB unofficially)

It's great deal

14. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Hmmm. The SD card slot would be nice but I think I can last. Have no idea what the bold part means. And I dont plan on traveling a lot with it so the battery part will be just fine. And I dont plan on maxing out the RAM. So I think it will still be a good deal.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can get ExpressSlot SD card reader.

Last gen model has two GPUs, intergraded 9400M (found in current model) + dedicated 9600GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory. It is useful in games and with Snow Leopard's OpenCL, it may speed your system.

16. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I dont need the sd slot. I have a desktop with ports for that. And im not SUPER tech savy so..Computer go fast? Good.

OH! And do you think that they will go out of stock soon?

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Refurbs are always limited so I recommend you to order one as fast as possible.