How should I go about this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wvuwhat, Aug 10, 2009.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

So, I'm a college graduate and heading back to school to learn photoshop at a local community college. Still haven't found a job and am currently living with my parents. I have an old 32" LCD tv.

Taking photoshop is more of a stopgap for me, I don't forsee myself getting into it heavily after the classes are over. I needed to choose something to get back into school to stay under my parents insurance while I search for a job...still. Figured Ps would be a good thing to have on my resume for some of the marketing/advertising/sales jobs I've applied to.

I'm thinking about either getting a 24" iMac or if I can, a 13.3" MPB and a television. I am looking really hard into Samsung b650/b630 and Toshiba 645/650's. They seem to be the best bang for the buck, most likely it'll be a 46". So, buying a MB and using a television as an external would kill two birds with one stone, as opposed to buying an iMac and then having to buy a tv later down the road.

My question is, will the Mini-Display Port (with an adapter) work with these tv's and what adapter would I need? Furthermore, would I be able to get by with doing some graphic work on them. Like I said, it's not an intensive course and I'm not going to be making my living doing this stuff. If need be I can head down to the campus and they have a lab full of MP's.

If I don't go the tv route, what would I need to hook the MBP up to this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7345

or this

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8299

Thank you for any help. I had originally just thought about getting a 24" iMac and a netbook for portability. I guess I really don't know what I want, or even what I need. Besides Ps, it'll just be used for email, internet, movies.

2. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Thank you for the heads up, ordered one.

Anyone have any more suggestions? Specifically, how would photoshop look on these tv's? Thank you.

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

If the TV is 1080p, photoshop will look OK, but you might have to sit 4-6 feet back for a 46". If it is 720p, screen space will be limited, about as much as the 13" MB screen because of the lower resolution.

You might need to calibrate the color, at least visually, but preferably with a hardware calibrator if you need accurate color.