How should I practically secure my computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pianodude123, Jul 20, 2012.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I'd like to develop a system for securing my new rMBP while i'm in class because it doesn't have a kensington security port. I have a pelican case that can lock and remain in the dorm, but i'd like to keep my macbook pro plugged into my display while i'm in class, use my ipad in class, and then come back and have my computer ready to work with without having to take it out and plug it in etc. What are others doing? It was really silly of them to remove the security lock.

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I don't know about you but I don't even leave my Macbook Pro on my desk in the office (work). Locks or chains only stop honest people. If they really want it, nothing will stop them.

I ride a motorcycle and have this 15lbs chain anchor into the floor. You think I can lock my motorcycle up for good. Nope, they can cut that thing in minutes. Imagine the little computer cable.

I would lock your Macbook in a drawer or something station. Skip the pelican case, I can take the entire case home and cut it up within a minute in my garage.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I know, it sucks. I keep mine on my desk at work and many, many people walk by. I have no door and a full glass frontal. People say Kensington locks are easy to break or cut but they're a deterrent nonetheless. Every night before leaving I have to unplug it, put it into a sleeve and lock it up. Somebody will come up something thats relative safe and affordable I hope.

4. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

If it's in your room just lock your door.

If you have a roommate, so a little trust in someone. At least if it does come up missing he would be to blame.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

All sorts of things go missing in dorm rooms but I'm guessing you have a roommate? I'd just slip it into a lockable drawer. I personally think a simple lock on a computer is pretty silly.

6. maestrocasa macrumors regular

Get a small safe, like the ones in hotel rooms. Mount it to something sturdy, like floor or desk, and stood rMBP in that.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Get theft insurance and put some proper password protection on it.
    Filevault or just a UEFI level password to simply render it useless for any thief. If its useless a thief might just leave it somewhere for a nice person to find and you get it back.

If somebody really wants to just grab it there is no way to stop it and without video surveillance real hard to proof even with suspects. Usually though people only steal stuff from strangers.
    Put some real password protection it (a User Account password and an enabled lock screen DOES NOT qualify) and hope it will deter enough people.
    If you think changes are high that it gets stolen pay for insurance.

I just tend to have it in a bag that I never leave out of my sight unless there is somebody else around to watch. In dorms I just left it as is, usually locked the door and generally lived in a relatively thief free environment I guess. Nothing got ever stolen. Nobody ever broke in and you should be able to trust you roommate.

8. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I like the insurance suggestion; if there's any chance of that thing getting stolen you *really* want to have it insured as a first step ..

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are 100% correct about that 15 lbs chain. My brother used to work next to the place where they make the "Monster Chain" for motorcycles. They bought the chain in huge rolls that had to be moved with a forklift and then one guy would cut off lengths from the roll and place it into the box and tape the boxes shut. It did not take long at all to cut off the retail size lengths