Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSwitchd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I have a Release Candidate version of Windows 7 (Basically a beta version that testers get to work out bugs with) but it is about to expire in a week or so.

My iPhone is currently synced to this computer, but I am going to have to reformat my hard drive, and do a clean install of the full version of the operating system.

Now, I seem to remember reading something about "Deauthorizing" a computer before doing something like this, but can't remember exactly what to do.

Any help or advice for someone wanting to prepare/backup themselves so the transition to the new system will be as painless as possible.

:apple:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
First you should consolidate your library in iTunes (File>Library>Consoidate Library). This will allow you to easily copy your music, if it's spread out in different folders on your hard drive. Then copy the iTunes folder to an external hard drive or wherever you can store all the files needed (e.g., DVD's). You should also copy any movies and pics (or whatever else you have that was syncing to the phone). If you synced your contacts, calendar or notes to Outlook, copy the associated .pst file, so that you can reload these items in your new Outlook. Also copy the \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ folder, so that you'll have a copy of the iPhone backup.

Once you've done all that deauthorize the computer in iTunes (Store>Deauthorize Computer). Make sure you authorize the new one in the same file menu in iTunes.

BTW, I wouldn't format the old drive until you get everything working on the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.