How should I set up the iPad to give to my parents?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yalag, May 23, 2010.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I've been using an iPad that I plan to give to my parents next week. How should I this up? Should I restore it and then set it up as a new device? But then the iPad will have to sync with my computer forever. They also want to start using it without first syncing with their computer at home because they are away from home for weeks on vacation. Any ideas?

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If i read your post correctly you just answered your own question. just give them the ipad, it really only needs to be synced to a computer the first time you use it, and then from then on only if you want to back it up.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry not sure what you mean. In order for them to be able to use it right now I'll have to activate it first with my computer. But then it'll have to sync with this computer forever.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure where you got that idea, but it's not correct. You can activate on one computer, then sync with another one.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well if your parents are not near their computer right now, and you absolutely must give it to them right now, you really have no other choice then to sync it with your computer do you?

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Right, but it has to be basically married to one computer for syncing in the future, i think thats what he means

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Nonsense. Have you ever heard of a used iPhone? People sell them all the time.

When your parents are ready to sync to their own computer, they just plug it in and choose "sync with this computer and erase all content".

8. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Well that's precisely the problem. They want to start using it now but don't want to erase everything by the time they get home.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What would be in "everything"? Basically, any media you sync from your computer would get erased when they sync to their computer at home. Anything that they put directly onto the iPad should be transferable to their computer one way or other.

10. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Exactly. So long as you just activate (plug it in) it on your computer and don't sync/back it up to your computer, they can use it and it's not assigned to any specific computer because it hasn't been synced. They could then take it home to their computer and sync it for the first time.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If your idea was to buy an iPad, load it up with pics of the grandkids and a few apps for them to use, that will work just fine....until they sync with their own PC. That will wipe it. You can get creative with MobileMe to somewhat overcome this gifting issue.

12. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Can you take an hour to set up their computer to allow you to sync it to their computer instead of yours, before they start using it?

If not ... can you keep whatever media you're going to load (pictures etc) saved in parallel, like on a CD, that they can re-load when they sync again?

13. theman510 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same situation. I got an iPad for my dad for fathers day. I wanted to load it up with apps he'll like, movies, pictures, etc. so that it's all ready for him to use when he gets it. I came to the conclusion that the best idea is to take a hard drive, put all the songs, pictures, movies on it, and put them all on his computer at home so when he syncs he won't lose them. He's not too tech savvy so the easier I can make it for him the better.

14. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

When they bring it back and sync it for the first time, will they lose all the photos, apps, contacts that they put in during the time they used it before first sync?

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Activate, set as NEW

They can sign up with their own iTunes account for the App Store.

As long as iTunes is using their new iTunes account they should not have a problem.

16. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Nope. So long as it hasn't synced to any computer, it isn't assigned to one.

17. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

18. iserian macrumors 6502

Yep - it's really a shame that we are locked in like this with I-Tunes. I have a desktop that I sync with but would like to be able to sync with my laptop while on travel etc...

19. DKatri macrumors 6502

20. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

21. wgary macrumors member

If they have any vision issues, check out the Zoom feature--see accessibility chapter in the user guide. It has really helped my dad, who has limited eyesight at age 86.

22. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If it's not synced to a computer, how does he put pictures, apps, etc. on it in the first place????

23. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Well, not by syncing them. Obviously he will have to find workarounds, like installing apps directly from the app store, one app at a time. Photos won't be easy, I would suggest mobile me photo app (If you use MobileMe). Songs… I don't have any suggestions. Pandora :rolleyes:

24. Alicia1991 macrumors newbie

iTunes is definitely the worst aspect about using the iPad / Apple products. So annoying :mad:

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just thinking out loud....

-IF-
    You want to give them a "stocked" iPad with pictures, music and apps pre-loaded....

-AND-
    You plan on giving them money to purchase more apps as they wish over time...

-AND-
    They have their own PC/Mac to use for future synching....but are not currently iTunes users.

-THEN-
    Set up the iPad as a secondary device on your own system. Stock it however you want. Then back up your iTunes library to an external drive, ensuring you pull along the apps folder, music folder and any iPhoto folders (assuming a Mac). Then give them the iPad with specific instructions to NOT sync it to their Mac until you are available to do it for them. At that point, you hook up the external drive, overwrite their iTunes folder with your own, and insert your username/pass into their iTunes account. You then authorize their PC to play your iTunes stuff.

This effectively clones your iTunes account to theirs, username and all.

The big drawback to this is that they are "you" for iTunes purposes and any purchases they make will be on your nickel. If you are willing to buy them an iPad though....likely no big deal.

Would this work?