How should I store my MBP?

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I'm about to leave the country for 6 months. I have a 17 inch, mid-2009 MBP. Can i just leave it on my desk at home or do I need to do anything special storage-wise to make sure it works when I get back? The battery in it is just two weeks old if that makes a difference.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm about to leave the country for 6 months. I have a 17 inch, mid-2009 MBP. Can i just leave it on my desk at home or do I need to do anything special storage-wise to make sure it works when I get back? The battery in it is just two weeks old if that makes a difference.
It's fine there but below there's some info on Apple's site.

Link to Apple's Advise

Long-Term Storage
If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it’s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store your notebook and battery at the proper temperature. (See “Notebook Temperate Zone.”)

Edit, someone beat me to it :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Anywhere between 40-60% of charge is fine (50% that Apple gives is just the in middle). Keep it in a bag to seal out dust.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Just unplug it when it's half charged and you'll be fine :) It might pay to hide it somewhere though, as if you're leaving for 6 months a MacBook Pro jus sitting there on the desk could get stolen...

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
All the advice given so far is bang on - but another thing to remember is you should actually turn it off as opposed to closing the lid and let it sleep as it will likely lose that 50% charge in a week or two if left to sleep.

Or why not take it with you?

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Or why not take it with you?
A 17 laptop is pretty big to carry around, and depending on if the OP is traveling a lot (versus moving to one location for 6 months), then brining the laptop may be difficult. Plus, there are a lot of places in the world without electricity ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.