How should I store my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oxband, Oct 6, 2012.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I'm about to leave the country for 6 months. I have a 17 inch, mid-2009 MBP. Can i just leave it on my desk at home or do I need to do anything special storage-wise to make sure it works when I get back? The battery in it is just two weeks old if that makes a difference.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's fine there but below there's some info on Apple's site.

Link to Apple's Advise

Edit, someone beat me to it :)

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Anywhere between 40-60% of charge is fine (50% that Apple gives is just the in middle). Keep it in a bag to seal out dust.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Just unplug it when it's half charged and you'll be fine :) It might pay to hide it somewhere though, as if you're leaving for 6 months a MacBook Pro jus sitting there on the desk could get stolen...

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Wow. I never realized there was a protocol for this. Good to know.

6. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

All the advice given so far is bang on - but another thing to remember is you should actually turn it off as opposed to closing the lid and let it sleep as it will likely lose that 50% charge in a week or two if left to sleep.

Or why not take it with you?

7. tiwizard macrumors regular

A 17 laptop is pretty big to carry around, and depending on if the OP is traveling a lot (versus moving to one location for 6 months), then brining the laptop may be difficult. Plus, there are a lot of places in the world without electricity ;)