How Should I Surprise My Dad Tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Sep 23, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

My dad loves the show 2 & a Half Men.

About 2 weeks ago I told him to clear his schedule for tomorrow without telling him why. He has no idea what to expect; he just knows i'm picking him up tomorrow in the afternoon.

I got us 2 tickets to see the show 2 & a half men being filmed at Warner Bros. studios in hollywood and thought i'd ask here how to surprise him with the tickets.

I'm picking him up around 4pm, then driving out to the studio.

I was thinking, I can show him the tickets right as I pick him up, so that he'll know during the 30 mile drive where we're going........or I can show him the tickets a freeway exit before we get there so he won't know till' we're practically sitting in front of the set...

I'm just excited about him flipping out over seeing the show live I thought i'd ask here on the best way to present the surprise itself.:D

Any ideas?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would let him know when you pick him up
    That way he isn't wondering all sorts of things
    And you can have time to share the experience on the way

How you share it with him when you pick him up is another matter

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Id do it just before you got there. Let him wonder what it could be on the drive there! :D

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I thought the same thing considering if I told him only right before we get to the studio he'd still be flipping out while waiting in line to get in...and i'd be afraid he'd be the only person of, say 60 people that didn't know 10 minutes before why he was there. The drive cound give him enough time to get excited but not act like a wandering tourist at the studio. Not a big deal; just a random thought running through my mind.

The drive takes us into the 101, and the exit itself a one exit before the the Universal Studios Hollywood exit...which makes me think if I didn't tell him where I was taking him, throughout the drive he would assume we're driving to Universal Studios, cause we used to go there quite a bit before in the past...and for about 26 miles he'd genuienly believe we'd be going to Universal Studios, perhaps to see a show at the amplitheater or something...

...but then one exit before Universal's I'd be forced to make a right and head away from Universal, where he'd then really wonder where I'm driving.....

2 very different reactions..:eek:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Blindfold him. Problem solved. ;)

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not getting in a car blindfolded to "take a ride" with anyone, including my son, unless it is at gunpoint

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

LMAO

Oh man. I got a screenshot in my mind of my dad in the passenger seat, blindfolded and smiling for 30 miles in traffic.

LMAO

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Don't surprise him. Tell him as soon as possible. Let him enjoy the thought and the anticipation of actually going to the show.

Want to surprise him.

put the tickets in an envelope with the words, Thanks Dad!!!! and put it on the frdige

9. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

10. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

Let him figure it out himself when you get to the studio. Depending on who he likes more, Alan or Charlie, tell him to wear shorts and a bowling shirt, or slacks with a tucked in polo (or dress shirt).

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Show him the tickets when you pick him up, then you can talk about your favorite episodes etc on the way and then when you get there be ready to see what's coming up next in the show!

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

13. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Blindfold him, then give him clues on the way there like locations or restaurants you pass. Then tell him to take it off as you exit!

BUT if you feel like talking more during the drive just tell him and give him the tickets before you leave.

Either way that's very nice and thoughtful! He'll remember it either way :D have fun and update us with pics!

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Another problem solved. ;)

15. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Put them into a bottle of beer, then take the bottle to the hardware store and shake it up. Next, put the beer bottle in the cooler and crank the heat up so that he will go to the fridge to get the beer with the tickets in it. The bottle of beer will go KABOOM when he opens it and he will be really surprised.

16. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I like this idea.

17. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I would probably put a shovel, pair of gloves and some duck tape in the back seat. Don't say anything about where you are going and just let him wounder what is going on. On second thought, that might be a little extreme for your family, mine would do something like that without even batting an eye...

It really depends on your dad, if he likes surprises or not, and if you think he is better off not knowing until the last minute.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He's moved on, for realistic costumes for Buzz & Woody, for his son's BD. ;)

19. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

;)

I met up with my dad on that Thursday in the afternoon. We were hanging out at home, casually getting ready for an event he wasn't even sure how to get dressed for. My sister on the other side of the U.S. knew I was taking our dad to go see the show so she sent him a random text asking him what 5 divided by 2 was. I was in the room when my pops got that txt message and he was confused, wondering if that text was a riddle or something. He said, "2.5, duh." And that was that.

We get in my car and there was a bunch of traffic. After about 10 minutes he jumped out of his seat in the car and started laughing..(without me saying anything at all)

"We're gonna go see 2 & Half Men?!?!" he screams.

"How the hell did you know?!" I say.

He knows my sis and I even though she's on the east coast that we're always in cahoots and he quickly realized what that division text meant. Needless (he discussed) his favorite episodes and needing to catch up on the last season.

As I side note; my dad hates the way I drive. Always has, always will. I'm a fast driver and my dad always freaks out thinking i'm gonna get pulled over (though never have)...For some reason that afternoon my dad kept insisting I drive faster to the studio. "Hurry the hell up!" (lol)

We finally get to Warner Bros. Studios and it's packed. People everywhere. Luckily however most of the crowds were for Ellen's taping and not 2 & a half men. The tickets requested we get there 90 minutes prior to filming, which starts at 7pm but even with us arriving at 5pm, we were some of the last people there. Lukcily however upon us entering into the soundstage we got some pretty kickass seats right smack in the middle, between Charlie's living room and their kitchen.

We sat and waited for about an hour, along with perhaps a hundred others. Fortunately there was a comedian warming us up, mentioning that all of our laughs were being recorded for the show and they even played back for us an un-aired episode (before the actual taping) to gauge our responses. It was actually a pretty funny episode where Allen moves out of Charlie's place, moves in with the wife from "According to Jim" and she was in this lingerie that was just ridiculously hot. Look out for that episode cause she was wow.

When they finally got ready to film Charlie Sheen, guy that plays Allen and the housekeeper Berta came out. The kid wasn't in this particular episode. This was the 8th episode of the new season; where Charlie discovers he's dating an older woman that he is (she's 47, he's 42) and it bothers him. And the entire episode Allen is caught masturbating in random spots of Charlie's house..obviously the comic relief in the episode.

In terms of the filming itself.....

The set is super small compared to what you see on TV. The living room is tiny, with barely enough space to hold Charlie's piano. Whenever scenes are filmed at the kitchen table, the couch in front has to be removed for the camera to get in that tiny space. The camera's really make that Malibu house look spacing with the beach backdrop...but trust me, it's a small set. The stairs that lead to the upstairs are half the size you'd expect when you see an episode on TV. It really blew my mind.

During filming...Charlie & Allen are just great at acting. Yes, each messed up a couple of times but no scenes took more than 3 takes and that was great considering Allen's lengthy monologues which you'll see when the episode airs.

Sadly, no electronics of any kind were allowed. We had to pass through 2 metal detectors to get in; one into the studio and another into the soundstage.

"..and you wanted to bring you iPad," said my dad.

The comedian gave out numerous copies of signed photos of the cast in between takes to people that sang a song or displayed a weird talent. Women yelled out "I love you Charlie!" and Charlie Sheen would simply smile and give a thumbs up.

They even served everyone in the audience Pizza! Little Ceasars pizza :(, but it was still pizza. lol.

He had a great time; my dad even kept the program each audience member got with the names of the cast and crew..

...and on the drive back home, my dad told me to slow down cause I was driving too fast.