How should I treat my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markus843, Sep 7, 2012.

1. markus843 macrumors regular

I have the baseline macbook pro (cheapest model), and I was hearing things about calibrating the battery, and not leaving it charged all the time. Currently, I am constantly using it unplugged, usually having it charging @ 100% for under 10 minutes. I read up a bit and I heard having it unplugged all the time creates cycles, which waste the battery. If you know how batteries work, please reply.
    Anything helps

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
    The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Always remember, the key to happiness with all things Apple is very simple.

Launch your favorite browser and enter:

www.apple.com

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Go to the source:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Or feel free to refer to the countless prior threads on the same topic.

If you use the battery you'll cycle it. The only way to avoid cycling is to not use it at all. Stop worrying and enjoy.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Use it normally and let it discharge every once in a while.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

With Love and Respect..

But honestly, The Battery is a 'consumable' and you should just pretty much USE it as you want to.. it will survive for 3 years if things go well, and you will be happier for not worrying about it.. or so I have found with the MBP's I have had since 2006!!

:eek:

7. self macrumors regular

The posts saying don't worry about it are correct for normal usage. But (like it says here) if you plan on using it like a desktop and leaving it plugged in 99% of the time, you have to worry about it (a bit).