How Should I Troubleshoot Airplay Connectivity Issues?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Strafe, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Strafe macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm trying to help out at work. Help me look like a genius!

We have a PowerPoint deck playing on an iPad which is mirrored via Airplay to an Apple TV connected to an 80" LCD via an AirPort Extreme. Multiple times daily (sometimes often, some times not) the connection drops. Specifically, we have to reselect the airplay connection on the iPad, and turn on mirroring.

It's extremely frustrating and I'd like to come up with a permanent solution. Where should I start troubleshooting? At this point, we're not sure if it's a software issue, hardware issue, or some intermittent interference. Are there log files or event logs I can review to give me some idea whats happening? Do you have any recommendations on software to troubleshoot network connectivity?

Thanks!

2. priitv8 macrumors 68040

I, personally, would start with eliminating the access point from the equation and connecting the iPad and aTV Peer-to-Peer.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

try rebooting the wireless router

is this something that plays continuously like a lobby display, or something in a meeting room, where you're using it like 30 minutes here and there.

If it's continuous, look at the HDMI cable for the ipad, and just put it behind the TV, you can charge the ipad off the USB ports that are on most TVs these days.

4. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I second this, if this is for a more permanent installation, then you want to hard wire something in. Wireless in general is too flaky in my opinion to be trusted with such a task.