How should I update my JB'd iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by ExcelPremium, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ExcelPremium macrumors member

I'm wondering what are the steps I should do to upgrade to the iOS5. People have been telling me to fully restore my iPhone 4 before upgrading to a new firmware.

The problem with that is, I want to keep my messages and contacts, along with my paid apps like Whatsapp. I want to get rid of my JB also.

How would I go abouts in doing that?

2. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

I installed the GM of iOS 5 directly over my JB iPhone 4. I don't think you should have any problems. iOS 5 erases your phone.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Just update as you normally would--I've jb my iPhones for years and always just installed the latest update over the top.

My only suggestion would be to wait until later tonight as Apple's servers are crushed and getting the update to properly install is very difficult (see any threads about 'internal errors', etc).

4. ExcelPremium thread starter macrumors member

Would my contacts, messages and Whatsapp be saved?

5. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

6. thehouseofel macrumors newbie

Would you be able to update an iphone 4 that's jailbroken 4.3.1 with a baseband compatible for t-mobile, to iOS5? Or is it more complicated, cause I don't wanna lose service!

7. ExcelPremium thread starter macrumors member

Excellent!

Thanks guys! and I'll wait til later tonight when the servers gets less packed lol