How should I upgrade OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spyker3292, Oct 23, 2007.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

So I'm not sure what choice to pick for upgrading. For my Mac Mini and iBook (yes I dare to install it an almost lowest specs computer :p) I will just do upgrade because the iBook doesn't have anything important and the Mac Mini has mostly all things on 2 external HDs. For my 2 month old iMac I am not sure how I should install. I am thinking about backing up my important files (I made a list) on the HD I am buying tomorrow and just doing upgrade. Anyone think I should do something else? (I don't want a fresh install because I want to keep most preferences)

Also, what size of a TimeMachine HD should I choose for my iMac with a 320gb internal? (I'm thinking 500)

2. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

o think you should buy an xserve raid for your time machine backup

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I am personally going to back everything up just in case, then do an Archive and Install. That way I don't have to import everything in manually, though it still leaves me with the option of doing so, but I get closer to a fresh install.

500GB should be ok for a 320GB backup, though more never hurt anyone.

jW

4. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Archive and install just imports all you settings (that it backups) after doing a fresh install right? Do you think it is a bad idea to do an upgrade on a fairly new mac?

5. spyker3292 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I'm deciding to backup my main stuff (on my list) and just upgrade. My iMac is new so a fresh install isn't really needed and would just be annoying. Plus I need to install on 3 macs...

6. Ariez macrumors regular