How should syncing of photos between iPhoto and my iPhone be setup??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by icebergx, Jan 21, 2014.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I'm genuinely confused about how to setup syncing between my iPhone and iPhoto.
    At present, I have about 900 photos on my iPhone and about 1700 photos on iPhoto. Every 3-4 months, I delete a load of crap photos off my phone but, as I sync it with my mac several times a week, all those "crap" photos are now stored on my Mac. I don't use any other cameras, so I was thinking of simply deleting all the photos from my iPhoto, and re-copying back the "good photos" back from my phone, but longer term, this won't work, as I'm running out of storage on my phone.
    How should I handle this?

Thanks

2. numlock macrumors 68000

not sure what good and crap means in this case but i think the only way is for you have a regular iphone-iphoto sync (delete from iphone). then in iphoto sorting and deleting the ones you dont want and then sync the albums you want to have accessible on the iphone through itunes.

which brings up a question i have why do you have to launch iphoto merely to cut or copy the photos from the iphone? seems it should be able to be done through itunes

3. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, "good" was supposed to mean photos that I wanted to keep, "crap" were those I didn't want to keep.

Thanks for your input numock. I guess that's the way I'll have to do it.

With regards to iPhoto/iTunes syncing, I don't have iTunes syncing "on." Is it better to do that? Right now, whenever i connect my phone to my mac, iPhoto pops up, and gives me the option to import the photos from my iPhone, into it. Is it better to do it another way? What would you recommend

4. numlock macrumors 68000

ok then i think i understood you alright.

with regards to importing from iphone and syncing to iphone. you can only import from iphone directly into iphoto while syncing (can be album or events etc) has to go through itunes.

thats what i was complaining in the end of my post as i dont get why apple insists on you having to open iphoto to import from the iphone. a big iphoto library can take some time to open.

5. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

If I do go down that route, and solely delete the "crap" photos from iPhoto, is there a way to automatically transfer selected pic back onto the iPhone? I like to have many of my photos with me, when I'm away from my mac.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Lets assume that all your photos have been taken with your iPhone. They are then stored in the Camera Roll on your iPhone.

The next time you connect to your Mac, if you've asked it to, iPhoto will open and ask if you want to download those photos from your iPhone to your Mac.

If you agree, then those photos will appear in iPhoto.

When you next sync your iPhone, using iTunes, if you have chosen to sync with iPhoto, all those recently downloaded photos will be transferred back to your iPhone, and will appear in the Photos App. Unless you have deleted them from the Camera Roll, they will still be there as well.

If you delete photos in iPhoto, if they are still in your Camera Roll, next time you sync, iPhoto will want to download them again. They'll the reappear in the Photos App again after the next sync.

If you don't want photos that are in iPhoto to be synced back to your iPhone, go into the Photos pane in iTunes, when you next sync, and choose which ones you want.

It doesn't. Next time you connect your iPhone, open Image Capture on your Mac. You can then choose which Application, or none, to import with, or you can manually import them into Finder.

7. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I periodically import my Camera Roll to iPhoto and then delete then from the phone. I organize pictures in iPhoto in Events the way I want them on the computer. I also have an Album in iPhoto named "iPhone" with sub folders within that Album organized the way I want the pictures organized on the phone. iPhoto Albums do not duplicate storage space requirements for the photo. When I import pictures that I want to go back to the phone I simply add them to the appropriate album and sync with iTunes. Note that each time you sync with iTunes it sets the non Camera Roll pictures on the phone to match the current iTunes settings for what Albums to sync and the current contents of those Albums -- i.e., the sync will delete photos from the phone if you either remove them from one of the synced iPhoto Albums or change the list in iTunes of which Albums to sync.