How similar/different is Pro tools to logic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by d.am, Jan 4, 2008.

1. d.am macrumors newbie

Im a novice and have been advised that for live recording pro tools is the way to go.

there is a Logic course in my area and i wanted to know whether it is worth me going on the course and then ending up buying pro tools or is it better to wait to buy pt

How similar are they and by learning one will it be like the other

i have only used garageband so far

thank u

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

try each and see which one makes more sense. though they do basically the same stuff, i've found them to have a very different user experience.

to me, PT is logical, whereas Logic is confounding.

3. d.am thread starter macrumors newbie

so would u say not to bother with the logic course and just buy pt and get on with it ?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no, you should try out both. you may find PT irritating and Logic beautiful. no one can tell you which you'll like, though some may try.

5. d.am thread starter macrumors newbie

ok let me put this better

i wont have the chance to try both so i am asking advice

Novice:How similar/different is Pro tools to logic

How similar/different is using Pro tools to Logic Pro

There is a Logic course in my area 'Apple Certified Pro Level 1 in Logic Pro'.
    and i wanted to know whether it is worth me taking the course and then ending up buying pro tools or is it better to wait to buy pt and work with that.

How similar are they and by learning one will it be simple to use the other

thank u

6. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Well, if you can't try both (which is unfortunate), ask yourself these questions:
    • Will you be working more with MIDI/software instrument tracks or with recorded audio of real instruments? The consensus seems to be that Logic has an advantage with the former, ProTools with the latter.
    • Is it important to you to apply what you learn in a professional environment? It seems that ProTools is the de-facto standard there, so if you are training to become a professional sound engineer in a recording studio, maybe ProTools is the better investment.
    • Are you going to be working with surround sound? ProTools only supports that in the (rather expensive) HD setup.
    • From what other ProTools users have told me, I get the impression that with ProTools you should expect to pay for plug-ins over time as the base system is somewhat minimal, where Logic covers a much broader area of effects and instruments out of the box. I don't have ProTools, though, so I cannot confirm this from personal experience. Maybe zimv can weigh in and give you his perspective on this?
    If you don't have the time and/or money to try both, maybe it would be possible to spend some time watching others (friends of yours, maybe?) use both systems. This might give you an impression of which one feels more natural.

- Martin

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i use the (included) digirack EQ3 and De-esser3. I'm told that the new (v3) compressor and limiter are also useful, but i've got other plugs, so i haven't tried.

the delays are simple but they work. the reverb, DVerb, is useless. then there are the BombFactory plugs, which i paid for once upon a time, and now some are free. they're okay, i guess.

the plugs i have which rule are 1) the stuff from steve massey (especially the L2007 limiter) and the stuff from SoundToys, especially EchoBoy. i hear, btw, that massey is releasing his stuff for another format (AU or VST, i forget).

digi does seem to be taking the attitude that plugs, including virtual instruments, are important. they've released some cool looking stuff over the past year or so, but i haven't tried any of it. my read is that digi recognizes that Logic has some compositional appeal that PT doesn't, so they're going after that market.

all that said, i still think workflow is king.