How Slow is T-Mobile's Throttle Speed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mnsportsgeek, Sep 5, 2014.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

For anyone who is on T-Mobile and gets throttled after they use their data limit. What is the real world experience? For example, is it essentially unusable or is it just noticeably slower but you are still able to be productive with it.

I imagine video is out of the question, but does audio still stream at high speed since it doesn't count against your data cap anymore?

How about web browsing or an online game like Words with Friends or Clash of Clans?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

2. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

AFAIK it's 2G. I don't know, I've never hit my cap

3. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Right, I assume it's edge speeds but do we still get the LTE latency?

And there is a distinct difference between usable edge speeds and unusable edge speeds. We've all experienced them both back in the day. I guess I'm just trying to determine if it's still relatively usable. I'm considering getting the 1 GB plan for my wife and the 3 GB plan for myself as that is what we normally average. However, I don't want to me or my wife to have bought these nice phones if we can't really use them for the last 5 days of the month a few times a year.

The no overage fees with T-Mobile are very enticing as I would imagine it's easy to rack up overages quickly if you're not careful. I feel like I have a good grasp on everything except what the real world usage is like when you're being throttled.

To be honest, i've narrowed it down between getting 2 single line 2 GB plans through verizon or going with the 1 GB/3 GB plan on T-Mobile.

4. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I have the 1 GB plan :)() and the throttled speeds are not so great... Latency is the same as LTE, though.

I can load websites without waiting a very long time, check Facebook normally, maybe send out an e-mail. Light tasks will do you fine.

Luckily, music streaming and speed tests do not count against your data cap, as long as you didn't go over it for the music streaming.

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

So once you go over, you are throttled on your music streaming as well? Is it still possible to stream music when you are throttled in your experience?

6. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

From my experience, iTunes Radio does load fairly slowly when I exceed my cap, but I don't really stream music that much so I don't really notice.

Not sure about the other apps, though.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

I believe the throttled speeds are 256kbps. You do get LTE latency though.

You could try out the 3GB/1GB combo for the first month and switch the data plans later if you find it to not be enough for your usage.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You mean they throttle speeds slower than the crappy 3G speeds they're offering in most areas? Wow. 56k stuff going on. ;)

9. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

How Slow is T-Mobile's Throttle Speed?

I found some screenshots while digging last night. It looks like they throttle you to about 100-150 Kbps.

I think I'm gonna hold out my decision until after Uncarrier 7.0. Maybe they'll throw something the way of the one and two line plans. They've been showing too much love to the 4 line plans. Otherwise, the Verizon network and 2 GB of data for $60/month is awful tempting. Not to mention the ability to renew a contract and keep that price. It's the best deal on the market right now that I can see.

10. cuzo macrumors 6502

What plan is that version 60 dollars deal? Is it on the website? I'm interested in it.

11. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I have the prepaid $30 5GB plan and for me, throttled speed is ~0.05 Mbps with pretty awful latency (Los Angeles area). Yes, that's around 56k speed and to be honest, fairly useless with any page or email with graphics. Forget about streaming video.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Even throttled, iMessage, maps work very well. I don't even remember facebook being very bad. So its kind of tolerable.

Websites... Can be painful.

13. m3nphls macrumors member

I think its painfully slow but IDK how my cousing somehow manage to use 12GB after the 2.5GB LTE is done.

14. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I'll be switching from AT&T to T-Mobile next week and going with an unlimited data plan.

Does anyone know if T-Mobile starts throttling at the 5GB cap like AT&T with the unlimited plan?

15. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

If you go with the UNLIMITED unlimited plan, then there's no throttling (only a 5 GB limit on tethering). All of their other Simple Choice plans have a cap on 4G/LTE data, after which your speeds get throttled.

16. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Thanks! I was looking up this info online and wasn't getting a straight answer as it seems that unlimited was thrown in with throttling for the other plans.

In that case, I'll be a much happier camper once I leave AT&T!

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Here's what you should probably do: When you decide to switch, sign up for the 1GB data plan. Then, once you're signed up and have your phone working, follow this link to sign up to the referral program. Once you sign up, you'll get bumped up to the Unlimited LTE data plan and will get a $30 credit each month for a year to cover the cost of the unlimited plan.

So, for a year, you won't have to worry about it. You'll be getting unlimited LTE but only paying the 1GB plan price.

Also, this will not affect any ETF reimbursement or other deals you end up getting when you sign up.

18. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Great find, thanks for that!

I'll be taking my unlocked iPhone 5 to T-Mobile and going month to month so I won't be worrying about contracts and ETFs. I'll be going to a T-Mobile store for this so I can get the SIM card immediately and transfer my service to them.

But let me just get this straight..... So when I go to the store, I'll sign up for the $50 1GB plan and get that working. Then the next day, I refer myself and I'll be bumped up to unlimited and get the monthly credit?

Won't I be paying for 2 accounts/lines? Or since I'll already be on their network, I won't qualify since I'm referring myself?

I forgot to mention, I'll be porting my number over from AT&T.

19. scaredpoet, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, you probably can't refer yourself. But I can refer you if you want. :) Just use [I'll PM you] as the referrer e-mail.

20. SoAnyway, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

SoAnyway macrumors 6502

You might want to PM me your email and delete your email from here.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

All right. You'll probably want to edit your post as well, since you quoted my e-mail in it.